Why do I sometimes hear ringing in my ears, especially when I drink alcohol?

---asks Anonymous from New York, NY.

Can you trust your inner ear?
By | Posted August 28, 2006

When Superman’s ears rang at frequencies no one else could hear, it was usually bad news. But before you think that you’re gaining superhuman powers and are about to hear Lois Lane or some other poor, trapped soul’s pleas to be rescued, dear mystery man or woman of steel, you should know that many people (besides Superman and yourself) experience ringing in their ears.

Head noises such as ringing, perceived when there is no external source, are collectively known as tinnitus. The sounds you may hear range from ringing to buzzing, chirping, beating, humming, and roaring. But you are not alone. The American Tinnitus Association (ATA) estimates that nearly 50 million Americans have experienced tinnitus in one form or another. While many people only hear these noises sporadically and for a short period of time, tinnitus can be a more constant and even debilitating problem for some.

In order to understand the most common way in which tinnitus occurs, we must venture inside the ear. Sounds in the air cause pressure waves to vibrate your ear drum when they reach your ears. This motion is translated into pressure changes in the fluid behind the ear drum, and deep in the ear canal, tiny structures called stereocilia bend and tilt in response. These stereocilia are attached to hair cells (no relation to the hair on your head—these particular hair cells are sensory cells named for their fuzzy appearance). In reaction to the swaying stereocilia, the hair cells depolarize and release a neurotransmitter. Your brain finally receives this input from your ears by way of the auditory nerve and interprets these signals as sound.

But when stereocilia are damaged, for example if they’ve been bent out of shape by repeated exposure to loud sounds like gunfire or heavy construction, then this process doesn’t work as it should. The damaged stereocilia mistakenly tell your brain that you hear a sound even when there is actually none. Because stereocilia are not indestructible, they can remain damaged or even be permanently destroyed by these events.

Yet tinnitus is a symptom, not a disease, and it can be caused by many other triggers. Your mom was right, clean those dirty ears! Some people produce more ear wax than others and that waxy build-up can actually plug your ear canal and cause tinnitus. Certain medications that are toxic to the ear can also cause tinnitus, as can ear or sinus infections, head or neck injury, certain types of tumors, and vascular problems such as hypertension. The reasons behind some of these connections to tinnitus are not yet known—researchers are still investigating.

And here’s where the alcohol comes in.

Downing an excessive amount of intoxicating liquids over a long period of time (usually defined as more than that one stingy glass of wine a day) may contribute to hypertension, or high blood pressure. Although the connection between high blood pressure and tinnitus is not well understood, it has been observed that both high blood pressure and excessive alcohol consumption can make your tinnitus worse. And so can other factors that often accompany drinking, like stress or caffeine.

My guess is that if you’re going to a bar or club to get your drinks, they’re serving you another tinnitus irritant for free—loud music. If you haven’t been stopping bullets or using power tools lately, then maybe hanging out in pub environments where you have to scream to be heard is contributing to the ringing in your ears. Remember those beat-up stereocilia from above? Those blaring speakers are kicking them when they’re down!

Most people don’t have a problem coping with an intermittent ringing in their ears, but according to the ATA about two million people suffer from tinnitus so acute that it interferes with their ability to function on a daily basis. While tinnitus can affect people of all ages, chronic tinnitus is often a factor of hearing loss due to aging. According to the Mayo Clinic, if the ringing in your ears is persistent or if it becomes worse, and if it is accompanied by dizziness or hearing loss, it’s time to see a doctor.

Treatment for tinnitus is very individual and can range from avoiding foods that may make your tinnitus worse to taking medications. To learn more about tinnitus, visit the American Tinnitus Association or the American Academy of Otolaryngology (an association of ear, nose and throat doctors).

I’ll leave you with this bit of information: when someone complains about tinnitus, doctors often ask if they just attended a rock concert. Doctors recommend protecting your hearing whenever possible, because in addition to the avoidable causes of tinnitus there are other causes that are not as easy to control. Do your stereocilia a favor and back away from the 6-foot wall of speakers on stage, at least until you perfect your ability to lift your arms and instantly jet off to a quieter planet.

——

Got a question for us? ASK!

comments

1. Shanks.

Melinda Wenner, August 28, 2006 at 8:35 pm
  2. Melinda: I don’t get it.

Karen Schrock, August 29, 2006 at 1:26 pm
  3. LOL at Melinda!
    p.s. if it’s from drinking, it’s the alarm clock, silly.
    ma

Ma, August 29, 2006 at 5:17 pm
  4. My sister wrote that. “Shanks” means thanks in my her world… She likes Ask Scienceline. You might have noticed she submitted a question herself.

Melinda Wenner, August 31, 2006 at 7:12 pm
  5. i wear earplugs to clubs and everyone makes fun of me. but when i’m 80 and still have perfect hearing, then we’ll see who’s laughing.

RockMonkey, September 10, 2006 at 2:52 pm
  6. I had never had buzzing in my ears till two & a half years ago when I had aspartame poisoning. It started again when I had an air freshener stick in my bedroom. Now it is constant. You may want to investigate the connection between toxic chemicals and why it causes tinnutis……breathing or ingesting chemicals->body->brain->neurotransmitters=damaged neurotransmitters

Sharon Miller, September 25, 2006 at 11:11 am
  7. N-am stiut ca exista asemenea efecte de la alcool, inseamna ca n-am baut niciodata suficient de mult ….

Dragos, October 12, 2006 at 6:44 am
  8. I have a ringing noise in my right ear for about 5 days now, and i used ear drops to clean out my ear, there wasn’t an excess amount of wax, but the ringing still persists. and I was only at one club in the past 3 weeks, so it can’t be an exposure to the sounds from the club. Would getting my ears syringed help?

Brendan, January 22, 2007 at 12:25 pm
  9. I have a ringing that I have been noticing in my ears for the past 4-5 days. I do have a hearing loss, as well as a wax buildup. Is this for sure why I have been expieriencing this? Also, should I seek medical attention for this?

Mary Farr, June 22, 2007 at 3:28 am
  10. I have had tinnitus for 17 years. There is no cure and your brain will simply adjust to the noise or ringing. In the beginning ti was very distressing but I personally found it easier to avoid stress and coffee / tea. Swallowing or popping your ears{ hold your nose and pop your ears like you do on an aeroplane helps. avoid giving in to this condition. Ignore it!! – Your brain will adapt to this sound. Promise!!

Dazza, November 6, 2007 at 4:16 pm
  11. I walk with it, i sleep with, i hear the high frecquency buzzing sounds and constant birds chirping. Is there any scientific research done on the subject? If so, i would like to volunteer for the program.

Maximillain Levy, December 16, 2007 at 4:58 pm
  12. Maximillain,
    There are clinical trials currently recruiting patients with tinnitus.

Joshua J Romero, December 19, 2007 at 1:59 am
  13. thank you

tom, May 13, 2008 at 1:29 am
  14. I have had a ringing in my ears for a while and have put murine ear drops in my ears then rinsed and i can hear much better. it wont bring wax about but instead bassicly makes it evaporate and then you winse and it all comes out in at least 4 days. getting it syringed is an option also.

Tsagu, July 9, 2008 at 3:29 pm
  15. I have found something both, I think, interesting and useful. I am sure my CPAP machine (Sleep Apnoea) along with a DECT phone by my bed as possible causes of intermitent ringing in the ears. I cannot remove the machine for obvious reasons but the ringing stops after my morning shower and stays away for some time. I am wondering why water does this when it runs over my head. Just thought it just might help others.

Rosemary Laidlaw, August 24, 2008 at 2:23 pm
  16. The original author is wrong about the noise in clubs causing the ringing in the ears. This is definitely produced by the alcohol itself. I have tinnitus for about 10 years, and alcohol makes it worse for about a day or so after drinking regardless, of having been in a noisy place or not.

Colin, December 10, 2008 at 6:31 am
  17. the author is not wrong about the noise in clubs colin. this causes the ringing in the ears, alcohol only aggravates it. given that you have tinnitus already then the alcohol is aggravating it.

DJ, December 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm
  18. hi guys, im a dj i have djed for 8years im only 21. when leaving a club i have the usual ringing in my ears and have always even with my £150 ear moulded ear plugs. recently i have had a constant ringing in my ears i clean the mwith eardrops and still ahve the ringing i have now resulted in wearing my ear plugs to work as i work with a loud mouth co worker.

id appreciate any advice or help as its causing me serious anxiety and causing strain on my relationship as i am struggling to get to sleep and waking up.

please email me any advice djprotege@hotmail.co.uk

karl

karl, February 23, 2009 at 7:20 am
  19. Thanks.
    I have arthritis, been on prednisone for 13 ys now, (I’m 45) Just moved to France, drugs here work very well but I have constant ringing in “port side” (left) I suspect a side effect from the new drugs, will see the doctor soon.
    Any extra advice?
    Thanks.
    Jorge

Jorge, March 19, 2009 at 11:27 am
  20. i have ringing in my ears right now i just looked this up cause i was wondering if that was what caused it. I was listening to my ipod at like full blast and it made my ears start ringing.

blob be beastn, March 24, 2009 at 11:35 pm
  21. try improving your writing skills ! no idea what you are saying

mahesh, May 23, 2009 at 12:45 pm
  22. Hi bob,

Maybe that Ear noise a symptoms of tinnitus. Maybe your eardrum was destroyed because of too loud music in you ipod. As a suggestion, you can ask your doctor for it or simple visit this link http://www.tinnitussite.com/Ear-Noise.html regarding on your problem info’s. Hope it can help.

mikhon, October 8, 2009 at 2:00 am
  23. Loud music (or any loud sound) plus alcohol and nicotine are bad for your ears. It is so, because a) alcohol rise our blood pressure, b) cigarettes cut our Oxygen, so blood run fast but without right fuel, c) a + b = tired ears = less immunity.
    That’s why after any concert our ears need one or two days of rest.

Simon, March 5, 2010 at 2:54 am
  24. I haven’t been in clubs for ages, I listen to soft classics, for a month now the buzz in my head is constant, accompanied by a strange head on my shoulder, as if I’ve been underwater for too long.. I do smoke, I don’t drink.. Although a smoker, I have always been healthy before this .. Yeah I know, it’s time to quit the smoke and clean ear.

Marina, April 6, 2010 at 7:32 pm
  25. Can I get the email adddress of Jorge? How do I contact him. I have similar issues. Two weeks back, they said I have Arthritis. Now, I hear a sound in my left ear in the morning if I had a drink last night. Perhaps there is some relationship between these two?

jose, April 7, 2010 at 11:51 pm
  26. DONT WORRY

When i first heared the ringing i was very scared and people were telling me it would go in about 1-2 weeks. 90 % of the noise went away. But that 10 % has stuck with me for 5 years. I have gotten relitively used to it so it dosn’t really bother me any more.

EJ, April 14, 2010 at 5:30 pm
  27. I had this problem for years. I found this product (Tinnitus Miracle) and it actually worked! Has anyone else used this? Here’s a link to the website:

James Moore, May 12, 2010 at 4:55 pm
  28. I have hissing in my ears or head.Could this be caused by taking too much hydrocodone. I have osteoprosis very bad.

kathy, May 31, 2010 at 6:12 pm
  29. I can tell you that alcohol, and antidepresants can cause it. Antidepresants are strange as they can also be prescribed to cure tinnitus but when i lower or raise my dose they also cause it.

neil, June 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm
  30. its called electicmangenate plus thats why your ears ring

joe, June 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm
  31. I had an ear infection today starting with the Nose & Throat, and started taking medicine after that hour after taking the medicine all i hear in just my left ear is a constant ringing sound, and sound is slightly dimmed. O.o I’m young and I am 15.

Brandon, July 27, 2010 at 9:10 pm
  32. @Sharon: Damaged neurotransmitters would not bind to their receptors and this could not cause a false perception of sound. That would lead to deafness, not tinnitus. That’s a neat little train of though you have, but there is no sound biological reasoning to support it.

Shelle, September 1, 2010 at 10:13 pm
  33. this has been going on withme for years! this really helped

Cypress, September 17, 2010 at 5:49 am
  34. In my opinion, what you are hearing in not ringing, what you are hearing is different frequencies that other people can’t hear. The reason you can hear those frequencies is because you have been introduced to those frequencies repeatedly through your lifetime. Loud music, gunshots, ect. And when you are relaxed us when you can hear it the most. Why? Because you are more focused and its like meditation… boom you can hear different frequencies. I may be wrong. I don’t really care, I’m high as a kite right now and listening to the fuckin wireless frequency coming from my neighbors house. Weird.

Jigsaw, October 10, 2010 at 11:35 pm
  35. formula cars today are like duplicates with a pointy nose. you cant realy tell witch one is witch. but the old formula cars are beautiful in appearance and have their own style of body looks.

IntoRacingCars, October 22, 2010 at 3:43 pm
  36. Im with Jigsaw (im not high an havent been since I was 24 (5.5 years ago now LMAO) {oh well you get old!}, but I reckon its from stress, combined with being able to hear shit like the all the power suppliers in my house. When I turn shit off its honestly queiter but then again my houuse has so much electronic shit in it

Dennis, October 31, 2010 at 10:11 am
  37. Right basically, I’m 16 and when I’m on my own, usually, all I got is this constant ringing in my ears from what I can remember I’ve had it since I’ve noticed which is probably my whole life, if you get what I mean. I want it to stop, I’ve got the best hearing out of all my friends and I always listen to music quietly, if I can hear the faintest of sound coming from my friends head phones, I piss them off by telling them to turn it down as I’m just thinking of their hearing in the future, but they say it’s too quiet to hear… Anyways my point is will there be any point that it’ll just go away or will it progress like it did just a sec ago I’m sat in my bedroom everything around me is dead quiet my ears are ringing as per usual except I can hear it even though I’m on the phone, on the other end I hear my boyfriend talking and the normal background noise but I’m finding the ringing is now taking over my conversation, I just want it to stop, if you get what I mean.

Jojojo, November 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm
  38. I believe the ringing in the ears to be from lack of oxygen to things like the brain, I have put this to test many times and I know how to make my ears ring on command

Woopdy, November 16, 2010 at 9:53 am
  39. I dont know why I got thr ringing sound last week. After I came home from a swimming pool and had a bath, I heard the ringing sound. I thought it would gone away after a day. But no, it has been on my head for a week. Please Help!

Jimmy, November 22, 2010 at 9:24 pm
  40. Ditto, what Jigsaw and Dennis have written.

I am online researching why I would have a sudden, without provocation ringing in my ears. I woke up at 4am and took an ibuprofen, and at that point my ears were fine. When I woke later every noise was driving me insane, the wireless at the high end, planes in the air and the idle of a neighbors big ol motorcycle at the low end. The low frequency noises feel like actual waves striking my head. It may be the advil or lack of water that brought this on, but I think the fact that I was soundly sleeping while these hi and low frequencies were emitting could have left my ears relaxed and too open them. I have low blood pressure, no hypertension, never eat salt, and do not drink enough volume of alcohol or with enough regularity to explain tinnitus. Off to read up on dietary causes…

Jill, December 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm
  41. I have just found a better term from what me and others are complaining of: hyperacusis. Tinnitus is sound perceived when no external sound exists. Hyperacusis is an intolerance to actual sounds.

Jill, December 12, 2010 at 4:25 pm
  42. i have been experiancing this ringing in my ear maybe once a day for the past 2 years and i have never known why but this page really helped

christian, December 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm
  43. About 5 days ago I woke up with my left ear blocked, I took a shower and used ear buds but it never went away .. 3 days later it unblocked, but there was an extremely loud ringing in my ear, I absolutely cannot stand it any longer .. Struggling to sleep and do anything during the day. I have an earphone in my ear during the day playing music to block out the ringing.

I’m going to see a doctor soon, though I would come research a few things before I do, but none of this really helps me to be honest, don’t suppose anyone here would be able to give me some advise?

Much appreciated

Qyrone, December 20, 2010 at 1:49 am
  44. I’m an audiology student. I’ve learned that sudden, high HZ sound is stereocila (sensory cells within the cochlea) dying. I’ve heard of people temporarily losing their hearing when they drink. No doubt booz isn’t good for you.

Christine, January 11, 2011 at 10:54 am
  45. @Qyrone. Sorry! Wish I could help, but I don’t know enough about pathology of the ear. You need to see a doctor. What do you mean, left ear blocked? The ear canal was closed (with swollen skin)?? Or swollen ear drum?

Christine, January 11, 2011 at 11:14 am
  46. I have had a very high pitched ringing in my ears for 15 years. It just came out of the blue. After many visits to doctors over the years I found a very wise old doc that helped me mentally. I had been having trouble sleeping and it was starting to drive me crazy after dealing with it for about 5 years. The doc did all the test that would rule out a dangerous or obvious cause to the ringing. He told me to focus on the fact that you are in perfect health other then you hear ringing. He told me that the ringing will probably never go away. It was not what I wanted to hear but from that point forward I adjusted my thinking from how do I cure this to how to I adjust to it. Eventually my brain just adjusted to the sound to the point that I can think of it as white noise and forget it is ringing. I even sometimes use it as a comfort to drown out other unwanted noise. A few things that I have learned about my tinnitus: If I drink booz it will cause it to become worse. It does not get louder but changes pitch which makes me aware of it. After about a day I adjust to the new pitch. I guess this is related to a change in blood pressure. Coffee does not seem to effect it. For me asprin is the worst and will cause it to change pitch back and forth for about a week. If you can try to keep whatever noise you hear constant so your brain can adjust.
    I am sure it is different for everyone and I am no doctor on the subject but I hope this info helps.

Alan, January 17, 2011 at 1:07 am
  47. I have ringing in my ears excessively today and WAS at a club last night and WAS drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. My acupuncturist says that ringing in the ears is because of stagnant (or abused, in my case) liver and thus- the ringing I am experiencing today as my liver works to eliminate the too many lavender gin & tonics from last night is quite “normal”.

Leigh, February 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm
  48. I have been searching for this for a time now. I think i had a serious problem or something with my ears. Thank you for clearing it up. I feel sooo much better. Having a few beers (like 2-3) always leads me to hearing the sound when everything else it quiet. Good thing im drunk enough to go to sleep easily :D Cheers

Davus, March 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm
  49. It’s Davis actually… damn… typing stuff while drunk and in dark kinda sucks, no? xD

Davis, March 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm
  50. 28 years as a firefighter/paramedic running many call daily in trucks with loud sirens/air horns/big diesel engines as an armrest. back then if you wore any kind of protective gear you were considered a wimp, including breathing apparatus to prevent smoke inhalation. Those days are gone now. These are obvious possibilities. This high pitched ringing sounds like a chorus of faint whistles always in the background especially when I am in a quiet place like in my bed trying to sleep. I noticed it after I retired. I used to have higher blood pressure, but took off unwanted pounds and it has become more normal. Why now after the obvious causes are behind me 5 years ago in my life?

David, August 5, 2011 at 9:48 am
  51. David, I’m beginning to believe that permanent damage is an accumulation of abuse to our stereocilia. I have no particular load noise exposure, but three months ago, I helped my husband fall trees on our property. Since that day, not only do I have loud ringing in the left ear, but I almost entirely am deaf in that same ear. This comes without any prior hearing loss, and without even an ear infection in my life. After many doctor appointments which presumed sinus infection, I resign to living with ringing. I have had to give up my red wine; as that aggravated the loudness of the ringing. Asperin, as a prescription, also aggravates the ‘plugged’ or ‘air pressure’ feeling.

My doctor insists that this symptom is temporary. I’m waiting.

Terri, August 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm
  52. what i’m doing to reduce my tinnitus is taking lipo-flavonoid plus 3 vitimans a day , eating fruits, veggies and doing 20 minate exercises 4 days a week.the lipo-flavonoids won’t work over night because it’s not medication but will in 1 to 6 months.since using them my tinnitus has quieted down about 50 -75%.my advice try lipo-flavonoids for about 2-3 months and reduce smoking , sodium, and caffenee.results could come.the only good thing in my case is that i could sleep, eat, and focus without hearing much rinnging.take care every body!

thesby, November 7, 2011 at 2:20 am
  53. another thing i had this in 2010 and after using lipo-flavonoids it went away but came back after not taking vitimans in august of 2011.i also ate too much junk foods with high sodium and did not exercise much.

thesby, November 7, 2011 at 2:25 am
  54. Could stereocilia be damaged from listening to music in your head phones?

Livia, February 21, 2012 at 7:04 pm
  55. High Blood Pressure is my guess. Just all the sudden High pitch noise ringing.

Virginia, March 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm
  56. I am looking for answers as well for ringing in my ears. Last summer it was real bad, I tried lipoflavoid (not sure if it worked but I took it anyway). My doctor says i have a hole in my ear drum. I also have heart disease, vascular disease and am a recovering alcoholic. Over the winter my ear ringing was almost non existant so I thought I was cured. Then, the weather got warm and sunny and now my ear is buzzing again. I wonder if barometric pressure has anything to do with it? It is soooo bad I would consider moving to another state if I had to. Any suggustions?

Lynda, March 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm
  57. Hi Lynda,

Both of my ears have a hole in my ear drum. I’m scheduled to have my left ear surgery on the 27th of this month to improve my hearing and to prevent ear infection. But for the past few weeks, I had an ear infection(drainage), don’t know the cause. Then, the doctor prescribed an antibiotic ear drops but I did not like it as it goes straight to my mouth(so bitter). So, I went back to see the doctor and asked for another medication. He prescribed an oral antibiotics. I felt better but then, after I stopped taking the antibiotics, I got a cold and was sick. That’s when I start hearing the ringing sound like a dial tone. Sometimes, I could hear my own pulse beat. I researched some today and I found out,the beating sound is called “Pulsatile tinnitus”. I called my ENT specialist but there’s no schedule available until next week so I went to an urgent care and the doctor prescribed me to take antibiotics again. Please check on the website I researched on because there’s a lot of factors why we experience “Tinnitus”. I’d be curious to know how my doctor will treat this symptoms. As of now, I still have a cold and possibly a sinus infection.

Maria, April 6, 2012 at 10:25 am
  58. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/tinnitus.aspx

Maria, April 6, 2012 at 10:26 am
  59. My ear ringing is horrible! I have high blood pressure that is treated with medication. My rinign get worse when I press on my head. Isnt that weird?? SO of course it is so much worse in the morning after laying my head on the pillpw all night. Its making me so miserable. :(

Kris Engelhardt, May 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm
  60. Our organization, Aspartame Consumer Safety Network and Pilot Hotline (since 1987) has many studies, along with personal testimonials (often the best barometer of what’s going on!) in our files that prove the artificial sugars, Aspartame (and Neotame) can also be triggers for Tinnitus. I even have a letter in my files from the 1980s, written by the head of the American Tinnitus Association on its letterhead, that Aspartame causes (and exacerbates) ringing in the ears for many. Often, when the sweetener is avoided, but ingested again by accidental exposure, the ringing returns. Not difficult to explain, when one realizes that every molecule of Aspartame consists of more than 10% Methanol, or wood alcohol, which breaks down in the body into Formaldehyde, Formic Acid and other neurotoxic substances. MSG is mentioned for its Glutamic Acid Content. Rightly so. However, Aspartame is 40% Aspartic Acid, effects of which are the same as Glutamic Acid in humans.

We must therefore conclude that whether intentionally or accidentally omitted, Aspartame is the 800 lb. gorilla in this article nobody mentioned. ATAs acknowledgement of this fact on several occasions in past publications (Newsletters, etc.) have been a great service to readers suffering from this sometimes debilitating condition. This article seems remiss in this one area, unfortunately. — Respectfully, Mary Nash Stoddard/author Deadly Deception Story of Aspartame (Odenwald Press 1998)

Mary Nash Stoddard, June 18, 2012 at 9:48 am
  61. Simply plug your ears with earplugs…..Then you won’t hear it!

Bill, July 9, 2012 at 8:47 am
  62. I’ve had this constant ringing in my ears similar to the ringing of the previous posters above, it sounds like a high frequency pitch that never goes away. My husband of 7years has always had loud music in our car. He has aftermarket subwoofers, 6×9′s, amplifiers, and a digital equalizer and he cranks the music to it’s max. After all these years all I got was 3 traffic tickets for disturbing the peace LOL but a week ago the ringing started after my workout at the gym and having the volume turned up in my headset WTF? all I remember was taking my earphones out and the ringing was there and never went away since. I’m having trouble hearing cause the ringing just overpowers any other noises everything just sounds muffled. If I cover my ears the ringing gets louder so it’s pretty annoying when I’m trying to sleep cause I like to cover my head with my pillow I hope this won’t be permanent or I’ll go INSANE!!!

CnK05, July 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm
  63. Thanks for this Information.

I’m 23 years old and have had a problem with tinnitus throughout most of my life; I’d like like to contribute my own input on it.

As I said, I’ve experienced it most of my life, and the most contributing factors that causes the ringing in my ears has mostly been down to stress; such as whenever I’ve been working and constantly find myself being pestered to the point that I just become agitated.

Other times, I find that whenever I’ve been listening to some music or a video on YouTube a tad louder than it should be has caused ringing in the ears, shortly followed my a headache.

With that said, I have noticed that whenever myself or my other half experiences a headache, of where the pain is felt across the forehead, rather than at the sides or top of the head, we hear an ever-constant flat-line like ringing.

Even as I type this, I have a headache and the tinnitus is only adding to it, however I’ve found that draining out the ringing often helps, as well as eventually ridding it.

Sometimes, I’ll sit in the bathroom with the tap running, and other times I’ll listen to “White Noise”, which also helps with getting to sleep; or I just simply listen to some music, like I’m doing right now, just with the volume turned down, just enough to merge with the ringing.

The more you concentrate on the ringing, the more persistent it is, and the louder it becomes, so it really is best to try to take your mind off it, whether that’s watching a movie or playing a video game.

One time, I went through an entire week with nothing but hearing that flat-line sound, which began to slowly drive me insane, to the point I was pouring things that I shouldn’t have, into my ears; of course that did not help and I highly recommend to never pour anything into your ears.

Eventually, I went to the doctors and they prescribed me some Antibiotics, which sure enough worked almost instantly; after the first 24 hours of being on the medication, the sound had toned down, and after 48 hours the sound had completely vanished, leaving me feeling dazed and confused, because it was so quiet and so clear.

Whenever my partner experiences the ringing, she’s told me that simply taking paracetamol (pain relief) has helped, but usually whenever we get it – It’ll fade out after a couple of minutes, or if we’re unlucky within a couple of hours.

I suggest people to just try to relax and take things easy; there’s nothing really to worry about tinnitus, other than the fact of acquiring a headache from it, but in extreme cases – your best bet is to visit the doctor and get medication that could possibly help; or just get your ears syringed, as I found that helped reduce the amount of times I experienced it.

Anyway, that’s my input, I hope this provides useful for some people!

Regards.

Jamie, August 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm
  64. Can getting water in your ear cause ringing also? I recently got ringing in my ears, when i shower most days i use the shower to clean out my ears and my friend told me it’s from getting too much water in my ears when showering and then by using tissue to dry and clean them when i get out because i’m pushing the excess water in rather than letting it out.

David, August 15, 2012 at 5:15 pm
  65. The part about avoiding certain foods to make it better is flat wrong. It’s simply a number of factors starting from genetics then hormones. Yes, fluid in the ears has something to do with tinnitus, but getting on prescription drugs really won’t help that much.

Gracie, August 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm
  66. My ears have rang my entire life,but about a year ago became considerably louder. This happened around 3years ago and lasted for about 2 weeks, but then quieted down again. They have been ringing really loud now for well over a year. I have seen half a dozen doctors that have had theories but no solutions. I am starting to become accustomed to it, but it is hard to do. At one point I seriously considered taking my life. Glad I didn’t now. I feel for you guys and gals out there in the same boat. It can drive you nuts because there is no escape from it. . For those of you that are struggling with it,all I can say is hang in there, you will begin to get used to it. Doctor gave me a very mild dose of klonopin which helps when they get really bad.

Dave, November 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm
  67. Tinnitus is also positively correlated with the ingestion of certain medications such as aspirin. Aspirin is a blood thinner, and some foods and drink contain natural blood thinning capabilities, these natural anticoagulants are called salicylates. Some alcohol contains salicylates, the two most popular being red and white wine. My mother suffers from this, and I was interested since I am studying speech and hearing. So, you may not have to ingest copious amounts or be at the club, like this article suggests. If you are drinking a glass or two of wine and experiencing tinnitus then the salicylates are the answer! If you are experiencing severe tinnitus and it is affecting your life negatively please contact your local audiologist, you can search local audiologists through the handy dandy American Academy of Audiology: http://webportal.audiology.org/Custom/FindAnAudiologist.aspx

Julie, December 8, 2012 at 9:19 am
  68. Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some
    advice from an established blog. Is it difficult to set up
    your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking
    about making my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Thank you

diet committment, December 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm
  69. very informative but trying to make those superman references was a bit of a stretch and not as funny or clever as u thought

George, December 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm
  70. I get loud ringing and buzzing in my head and ears as i suffer with migraine. I have in the past had the room spinning round and i couldn’t lift my head off of the pillow and when i did i was very sick. My problem seems to be started by bad sleep patterns which sometimes brings on the migraines. I never had these problems until i enteres the menopause my doctor said it was to do with hormonal levels etc. I now try to keep stress levels at bay that seems to help and for the migraines i take feverfew tablets which does seem to keep the frequently and pain of the migraines came on less nowadays which does make my life less stressful.

Carole Heath, February 27, 2013 at 7:43 am
  71. I went to the club last Monday night and left to go home with a chirping cricket sound in both ears. Though I was by this big speaker they had blasting the music I was drinkin and having a good time. But anyways, now it’s Thursday and my ears just have this prolonged ringing I’ve never experienced this and it’s kinda pissin me off because it’s like “no cure” for this smh will this ringing go away within some more days I hope so . My life is not the same cant sleep!!!

Darius, March 7, 2013 at 10:38 am
  72. Thanks for this informative article that gives so much info about tinnitus from various angles. There is a wealth of information online these days about treating the condition, I only hope something definitive comes through really soon that is recognized as the cure.

ShirleyP, April 15, 2013 at 6:28 pm
  73. I have had Tinnitus for about the past five years, and it is my biggest regret: It hit me one afternoon while I was in the kitchen and it’s pretty much the only thing that I can think about since. Some days I hardly notice it, but other days it rules me like a rash. My hearing was damaged on the job, but it was so subtle that I didn’t even know it was happening until it was too late. Silence is Golden. Protect your hearing.

Twinkie, May 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm
  74. Hi there, its good article on the topic of media print, we
    all be familiar with media is a fantastic source of information.

congestive heart failure, May 11, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  75. Nice ear!!

Art, June 5, 2013 at 2:15 pm
  76. Howdy excellent website! Does running a blog
    similar to this require a large amount of work?
    I’ve absolutely no expertise in computer programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, should you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I just wanted to ask. Kudos!

furosemide, August 4, 2013 at 5:14 am
  77. I think tinnitus might also be genetic, I don’t go to concerts, I work in a relatively quiet environment; most of my family 25+ have diagnosed tinnitus. Im only 19 and can hear ringing when I’m falling asleep, when its unberably quiet, and especialy when i drink a few beer. If someone has a viable explanation other than genetics I would love to hear it.

Joseph, August 12, 2013 at 4:01 am
  78. I never had any ringing in my ears until I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on meds for it at the age of 50,every now and then it comes on, or just gets louder. I’ve been to the doctors and all they do is look in my ears and say everything looks great you just have whats called tinnitus and the’re is nothing you can do about it. I do notice how ever that when it gets louder I don’t feel very good, kind of light headed and shaky, I wounder if this has something to do with my heart not working quite right at times?. But all the doctors say is no its nothing to do with that or the meds your on. I have had a heart trace done and stress test done as well but when these tests are done I fell perfectly normal (as in no ringing) and there is nothing out of the ordinary with me other then my blood pressure spiked fast in the stress test but that was normal as to I have high blood pressure.So no doctor can tell me why this just came on like that and why I feel how I do when it does, I’m at a lose for things to do any more, so I just put up with it.

Roy, January 31, 2014 at 1:17 pm
  79. I am new with ringing in the ears. Only about 6 weeks. I only have it in my right ear and have slightly decreased hearing in that ear. My doctor ordered an MRI which I probably will have to rule out a neuroma (benign tumor). But even if I have one and surgery is done, it won’t necessarily cure the problem.
    And the ringing is driving me crazy. I’m thankful for the comments that say the brain will get used to it. I hope so. My sister has told me that also.
    In the meantime I really suggest some sort of white noise whenever you are in a quiet environment. There are several great free apps you can download. (Running a fan also helps some people). I keep I keep the white noise at the lowest necessary volume that almost completely masks the ringing. It allows me to relax enough to sleep. If I need something more, I take 25 mg of benadryl or 3 mg melatonin.

Barb, February 9, 2014 at 7:44 pm
  80. This who hear ringing “white noise” and have always heard it when there is complete silence are sensitive to both UHF, VHF, WIFI, and electricity in general. It really is a burden and if you focus it gets really loud to the point you want to stab your ears. But don’t fret folks. Just keep an old tube TV on and everything will be fine. The old TVs somehow abrupt these annoying frequencies. Either that or years exposed to old tube TVs and their distinct high frequency whine when turned on is now absent due to new TVs and the brain is substituting via adaptation of loss of sound like losing a limb. The mind fabricated sensations even thought the limb isn’t there…just my logical perception.

Josh, February 9, 2014 at 10:35 pm
  81. I hate auto correct…my final conclusion is…those who experience white noise constantly are probably suffering from lack of tube TV frequencies combined with new transmission frequencies over the airways. The average person is oblivious to this just like the general public is ignorant to the NWO…That being said…keep an old TV on at all times and you’ll find a balance. GOD BLESS

Josh, February 9, 2014 at 10:45 pm
  82. Wow because this is very helpfulexcellent work! Congrats and keep it up.

Aschmann, September 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm