Is there a scientific reason that some people feel habitually cold?

-asks Heather B. from Santa Rosa, CA

And this is August! [CREDIT: GREGG]
By | Posted August 14, 2006

It’s true some people are always cold. They sleep under five comforters in the winter and always carry an extra sweater on the hottest summer days (hey, there’s always the risk of an over-zealous air conditioner!). Does this mean there’s something medically wrong with these people? Probably not—although there is a condition called severe cold intolerance, it’s rare and unlikely to be the problem.

Instead, some studies suggest that simply changing your lifestyle could help. Eating better, exercising more, and reducing stress are a few initial steps that could cut the cold.

The human body works in different ways to regulate temperature. For example, without moving at all, your muscles produce up to 25 percent of your body’s normal temperature. Muscles are always slightly contracted—a state called “muscle tone.” This partly explains the recommendation to exercise more: the more muscle mass you build, the more tone you have, and the more heat your body produces at rest. Internal organs, like your heart, liver, and kidneys are another major source of heat. They’re continuously working and, as a byproduct of that work, creating heat. The liver, for instance, is responsible for up to 20 percent of your body’s heat—so be good to your liver and put down that fifth beer!

All of this involuntary temperature regulation is orchestrated by the brain. Acting as an internal thermostat is one of the many jobs of the hypothalamus, an area at the base of the brain. When your body gets too hot, the hypothalamus turns on the AC—blood vessels near the surface of your skin open up to release the heat (sometimes making you flushed) and you start sweating. When your body gets too cold, the hypothalamus shuts off the AC and seals the windows. Small blood vessels close up to conserve heat, making your hands, nose and toes feel very cold. And if too much heat is lost, your brain tells your muscles to spasm into a shiver, upping the internal production of heat by increasing muscle tone.

But for the die-hard hypochondriac, that ever-present chill could potentially be a symptom of various syndromes and diseases. The two that would most likely warrant a check-in with the doctor are Raynaud’s disease and hypothyroidism.

Raynaud’s disease causes extremities, like fingers and toes, to turn blue in response to the cold or to emotional stress. This is usually accompanied by some pain or numbness in the hands, and when blood flow does return, the area usually gets red and tingles or throbs. It’s a rare disorder that affects more women than men. But if you think you have it, you may want to see a rheumatologist, since some cases develop into arthritic disease.

Another disorder that can cause cold intolerance is hypothyroidism, which happens when the thyroid gland does not produce enough of the hormones that control metabolism. Hypothyroidism can cause a person to gain weight, feel tired, sluggish or weak, and often also feel cold. Luckily, it can be diagnosed with a simple blood test, and medications to correct the problem are readily available.

So although most people’s sensitivity to the cold can be easily controlled with a few warmer articles of clothing, it’s always best to check with a doctor if you think it could be something more serious.

——

Got a question for us? ASK!

comments

1. I too am always on the cool end of the spectrum. I am a 50 yr old white female. Small frame fair skin 5’5″ in height. My weight averages usually between 98 and 103 lbs. I am hypoglycemia

Meghan, March 15, 2016 at 1:05 pm
  2. Whoops, I have hypoglycemia. Symptoms began at 18, diagnosed at 32. Very little body fat. I wear an undershirt everyday. I am miserable below about 73°f. I dress in light layers year round to keep my core temp at a suitable temperature

Meghan, March 15, 2016 at 1:13 pm
  3. I dont ask for the temperature to be raised when I am at work. I just adjust my dress as needed. I would rather take off a layer if needed. Drinking warm liquids, I would think would defeat the purpose?! Seems as though that would put your body into cooling mode. Just my thoughts on subject. Thanks

Meghan, March 15, 2016 at 1:22 pm
  4. i dont no

Meghan, March 29, 2016 at 2:58 am
  5. i just feel cold today and everyone else is warm

Meghan, March 29, 2016 at 2:58 am
  6. Another cause: I have rheumatic heart disease with associated arrhythmias and an AV block. My heart rate can easily fall to the high 30s. The lower my rate, the chillier I feel. A caffeinated beverage and warm quilt help at home, atropine IV prior to surgery (helps the SA node to function more normally by increasing the heart rate). There are a number of other medical conditions that cause chronic chilliness, too.

Golgafrinchan_Ark_B, April 20, 2016 at 11:49 am
  7. Hi I live in Durban South Africa. I am always feeling colder than others around me on a cool day, and I always carry a jacket even on a warm day for when I get cold. I am uncomfortable when I get cold. Everybody around me just makes fun of how cold I feel and that I am always dressed up warm. Well on a hot day yes I do feel hot. But what can I do if I feel cold while others don’t.

Janice Govender, November 16, 2016 at 1:18 am
  8. I think I have absolutely this towards the severe side. Since my colleagues wear dresses above knees, one t-shirt, I am wearing one thermal layer pant and dress pant on top. Same things above the belt. Two socks, eve then my foot and hands are super cold for typing I normally wear two layers of socks and then sit on room heater to work. If I just wear v neck sweater and no scarf, I get fever and cold next day just by getting cold air around my neck and chest.

I keep drinking ginger tea 3 times, drink warm water all the time. If I ever drink or eat icecream sure shot I am getting fever and sore throat next day. Every one laughs at my dressing style but I will be sick if I dont bundle up myself.

In summer if I am sitting straight in sun then I get dizzy even though I am well hydrated. If it sunny day but I am standing in shadow, I need a hoodie on me. Looks like my thermostat inside is totally uncontrollable.

Deep, November 16, 2016 at 6:33 pm
  9. Indeed, started with me Jan.2016 : up til then I was always warm or even too hot (always, except in extreme extreme cold weather)….. & could spend up to an hour in sea water of only 17 deg C in just shorts without getting cold ! – Now I feel frozen even when wrapped up at air temps of 21 deg C / 70 F… this is very annoying…

ZaoZap, November 29, 2016 at 5:08 pm
  10. Your hypothalamus may have gone “off track” – not easy to get that diagnosed (!) (guides the pituitary gland & pituitary produces a large range of steering hormones)…
    – or possibly thyroid has gone hypothyroid (low) – that can be tested with T3 & T4 levels in blood (don’t trust only TSH, as that is NOT the actual thyroid hormones, TSH is the driving signal to the thyroid…)
    – or anemic
    check iron / ferritin level in blood. Only having hemacrotit level value from blood is not the whole story by far ! Low Ferritin / low vit C may not help…

ZaoZap, November 29, 2016 at 5:14 pm
  11. “just a mid life effect” quoted at me on occasion – even though it’s quite extreme…

ZaoZap, November 29, 2016 at 5:18 pm
  12. I found this just searching and although it doesn’t fit me good article. Im 18 and i feel cold but at the same time i feel the heat that I’m producing because of being cold.

Stephen, December 7, 2016 at 11:32 am