Is it true that having cold sores means you’ve got herpes in your mouth?

--asks Anonymous from Horseshoe Beach, Florida.

So much for lipstick! [CREDIT: CDC]
By | Posted September 18, 2006
Tags: , , , ,

Well, yes, that is true. But it’s not necessarily the same herpes that causes problems in one’s nether regions.

Cold sores, or fever blisters, are fluid-filled blisters that appear on or around the lips and sometimes on the nostrils or chin. They’re different from canker sores, which are ulcers that occur in the soft tissue inside the mouth.

The culprit responsible for cold sores is the herpes simplex virus, which comes in two flavors. Garden variety cold sores are usually caused by type 1, while type 2 is commonly the villain behind genital sores. But either strain can lead to sores on the face or on the genitals. Over 85 percent of adults are infected with herpes simplex type 1, although they may not show any symptoms at first exposure.

The herpes simplex virus that causes herpes labialis (that’s the medical name for cold sores) is a sneaky sucker. It infects by entering through skin or mucous-coated surfaces and sets up house in your nerve cells. It’s a latent virus, meaning once it’s infected you, it remains dormant between outbreaks.

The life of a cold sore involves several stages. Warning signs that one is about to raise its blistery head include itching, tingling, and burning. Then the blister appears, starting small and often growing to a bulbous mass. After a few days, the mass breaks and may ooze—this is called the “weeping” stage—after which it scabs over a few times and eventually flakes off to reveal pinkish, healing skin. Generally, cold sores don’t leave scars. On average, lesions last 7-10 days if left untreated.

The bad news is that once you’ve got the cold sore virus, you’re stuck with it. But there are ways to keep it in hibernation longer, and you can also take steps to reduce the amount of time cold sores taint your kisser.

First of all, herpes labialis is most contagious when cold sores are in their weeping stage, so don’t go around sharing utensils, cups, or kisses with someone who has a cold sore. Second, fever, menstruation, stress, and even sun exposure can cause outbreaks, so leading a healthy lifestyle—which includes getting enough sleep and wearing sunscreen—can help.

There are over-the-counter and prescription topical creams and oral medications available that can help reduce the lifespan of a cold sore. Acyclovir is one prescription oral drug that is sometimes used. It works by interfering with viral replication, which happens before a cold sore appears. But viral replication generally occurs before a person shows symptoms, so it’s difficult to judge when acyclovir should be taken. If a cold sore is already present, it may be too late for acyclovir to help, and you’ll just have to ride it out.

Herpes simplex virus type 1 less commonly causes other problems besides cold sores. While it can lead to sores anywhere on the skin, as well as on the eye, in rare cases it can also cause neurological disorders, including encephalitis and Bell’s palsy, a type of facial paralysis. Given these alternatives, a little cold sore doesn’t seem too bad, does it?

——

Got a question for us? ASK!

comments

1. I have been getting coldsores since I was 2 or 3. And get them quite often ; more during my younger years though. I got them from when my sister kissed me as a baby with a coldsore. I have never gotten myself diagnosed but I get them all the time so I’m gonna assume that I bave herpes type 1 . I never really payed attention to them when I was younger , but started to when I was around 13/14. It was super embarrassing going to school and feeling as if everyone was judging me for it. I’ve never found abreva to help , but I do use carmex , which is more affordable ( it’s like 3$) and works better then any of the expensive big brand names.

Lucy, September 21, 2014 at 11:02 am
  2. Hi, I never got a cold sore until i was 54, then i got transverse myelitis is there a connection as i now get one every year. ?

Jo moran, October 9, 2014 at 3:33 pm
  3. I’m 20 years old, and I’ve been getting cold sores my whole life. Growing up I’d usually one a year, it that. It’d happen when it started to get cold. Recently, since I’ve been in college, I’ve been getting them a lot more frequently. The past 3 months I’ve already gotten 3 separate outbreaks (I’m currently in a fight right now with them). I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the all nighters in the library before big exams. My mom gets them too, and she’s always given me the zovirax that she’s prescribed, but I didn’t have access to it the past couple so I used Abreva. With either of those if I can catch it at the initial tingle then the outbreak can be prevented entirely. If it’s too late I’ve found the zovirax to work the best, it’ll get rid of it in a couple days.

Mike, November 14, 2014 at 7:35 am
  4. hey just a quick note and im sorry if it has been repeated..but they call it the kissing disease because that is all it takes.. and not from your GF or BF or anything… most cases-it seems- are actually transferred at birth from mom or dad when they first kiss their child… so if your wondering why you are 12 and never kissed anyone or anything and have cold sores…{REMEMBER STRESS IS THE BIGGEST REASON FOR OUTBREAKS NO MATTER WHAT!..so lower that STRESS!!!}…

anyway..if that is you.,,ask mom or dad..most likely they gave it to ya!- peter

peter force, November 22, 2014 at 3:40 pm
  5. Hello all. I’m 27 years old and am going threw first cold sore encounter. It SUCKS. I was tested one month ago for several std including HIV, gonorrhea, syphilis, Hepatitis b and c, herpes simplex 1 and 2 to name a few. All the results came back negative. Last week I went in for a physical. Everything looks great and I’m “healthy young man. Keep it up” Now this crap with cold sores. How is this happening? I feel stupid, disgusting, ashamed.

Dave, December 28, 2014 at 9:22 pm
  6. I look after old folk and one old lady told me it’s common for little children to get them (babies) because people kiss them a lot, lol not many people think of that I know I didn’t.

Heather, January 6, 2015 at 7:44 pm
  7. Hi everyone, I’m 44 years old and I got a really bad case of oral cold sores when I was 22 it was so bad I had to go to the hospital and they thought it was strep!! The meds they gave me made it WORSE!! I so wanted to die I had sores all over my mouth and down my throat and was miserable! Don’t wish that on no boby!!! Well ever since I still get them and they are not fun at all as I know everyone would agree they are not welcome. Sometimes I just get one an other times I get 3-4 and not sure if any one else feels this way but when I get them I feel sick like I am coming down with the flu.. I feel ache , fever, sore throat and run down… Would like to know if others feel the same way when they get cold sores. Thanks Wendy

Wendy, January 31, 2015 at 9:32 pm
  8. My ex from 5 years ago told me she had it after we went out for 2 months, one day I seen it on her lips and said “ahh herpes” she tried kissing me cause she was angry at my comment and assured me I wouldn’t get it, however I refused to kiss her than 3 days later she asked me to come see her at night it was the first time she wore lipstick which I fought was odd and she wanted to kiss I asked her if she still had she said “no”, now after 5 years I realised she did have it active but was covering it with lipstick to infect me.
    From what I can remember I’ve had 1 cold sore on my top lip since than but today I feel tingling on a part of my lip so I’ve realised she may of infected me I’m going to do a blood test tomorrow I hope I’m wrong but I’m 90 percent sure she gave me it :( and she did it on purpose by covering the cold sore with lipstick and kissing me as a type of “haha you have it now”.

Sam, February 1, 2015 at 3:48 am
  9. Hey well i woke up today and had cold sore and then by night comes its a fat lip and now the part where its fat has blood in so im worried no clue help me

Joanne Quilter, February 12, 2015 at 8:50 pm
  10. I been to the emergency room twice to plan parenthood and to my primary doctor. I was exposed to herpes. For 17 days I been having burning itchy sensation on my face and lips. I just noticed a few blisters on the back of my tongue and sides they bother me when I eat or drink.. Everyone tells me that dont think is herpes. I took the test today. I have to wait a few days for the results

holdinghope, February 16, 2015 at 6:50 pm
  11. every oneEveryone tells me that dont think is herpes. I took the test today. I have to wait a few days for the results

holdinghope, February 16, 2015 at 6:51 pm
  12. I have terrible cold sores. hemoform serum works wonders. When applied everyday, the sores never get those ugly huge scabs. And the best part is they don’t hurt. I would highly recommend this to anyone who suffers with cold sores

Caitlin Yeoman, February 26, 2015 at 12:56 pm
  13. Mine are very small. I found that from the very first time I was infected they have gotten smaller, almost cant see them, Im very thankful for that, in saying all of this, wanted to let you all know my new brothers, lol I know its a bitch! but we have it. back to what I was saying, I found a way to get pass the CRUSTY STAGE but this is what you are going to need, mix the salt and the alcohol together in a small container, and when you have done that, you will use the needle after sanitized,to bust the blister
    one by one, very carefully, then use the q tip in your mix and put it on the sore, trust me i have done this already 3times and it works!!! keep repeating doing the day. leave it on the sore, and you will see heal very fast, WITH OUT THE CRUSTY STAGE!

1 needle

2 Rubbing Alcohol

3 salt

4 Q tip

johnQ, March 4, 2015 at 3:22 pm
  14. Hi! I’ve never had any idea of ehat a cold sore is or how it can be spread. Now, I’m stuck with it and I’m feeling SUPER embarrassed. *sigh* I can’t do anything about it now, and I’ll just stop blaming myself since it wasn’t my fault. It really isn’t OUR fault for having this virus spread in our body. I’m 18 and in my school, there’s this girl (she likes to address herself as bestie) used to peck me on my lips a lot, the usual girly things we do. And since then, there was one blister on the bottom of my lip, I thought of it as a pimple and popped it LOL. And it spread like crazy, it was all over my top lips and a few on my bottom. Ughh, super embarrassed, I couldn’t even hide it. I bought Abreva but it is for the early stages so it didn’t do anything except dry my lips out. Now, my lips are super dry, and there are scabs and crusts. Right at the two sides of my lips, there’s a scab and whenever I open my mouth to talk, it rips open. SO FRUSTRATING. And I see one more coming out on my bottom lip. This is the first time ever and I don’t know if I can cope with it. I am utterly scared and shattered. Especially thinking it’s HERPES. FRICKEN HERPES!!
    And idk why, but now there’s red itchy rashes on my left cheek, behind both of my ears and chin. Idk what it is, I’ve never been allergic to anything., I’m thinking maybe it’s because of Abreva?
    Just help me please. I’m thinking about drinking Lysine daily. I don’t want this to come back!! It ruins my life.. I’m a pretty social person.
    And it’s fine if you wash your hands before you masturbate, right? You can’t get genital herpes from yourself right? Lol, someone answer me. I’m pretty freaked out over here.

Thank you!

feelsdifferent, March 26, 2015 at 5:18 am
  15. I’m 15, I recently had a strange patch of little bumps on my chin, so thinking it was acne I popped them and washed it good. It healed and dissapeared like I figured it would (thinking it was acne) well now several days later I saw some of these bumps on my lip. My mother told me it was a cold sore or a type of herpes really is what she said so after freaking out a bit I held hydrogen peroxide to it. I’ve been washing my hands A LOT, as I do tend to freak about things like this. Despite this, I woke up this morning to these patches on BOTH my lips and just under and on my chin and on my nose, around my nostrils. Since these outbreaks I’ve been coughing a lot, I’m now worried its on my throat causing the itching that makes me cough so much. I’ve been trying to be super careful and avoiding touching my face but it’s spread like wildfire in just a day!! Does this what happens in any other people’s outbreaks? Also, I can’t remember the last time I have shared food/drink with anyone and my boyfriend has never had an outbreak and has had tests and doesn’t have this virus, neither of my parents have ever had cold sores either. I understand stress can cause an outbreak but if I’ve never had the virus until now, it must be from some sort of contact with a person who had an outbreak, correct?

anon, April 22, 2015 at 10:10 pm
  16. I have been getting cold sores as far back as I can remember when I was in around 4th to 8th grade I would get one every couple 04 months one the lower right hand side of my lip I would be so embarrassed that I would try to find any excuse not to go to school I would sit in front of the mirror and pick at it and that only a few it worse they started getting huge after I turned 15 i only get thembut once or twice a year and I’ve found that the best thing for them is abreva it seems to numb it so u don’t mess with it. The less you touch them the better. Touching them only makes it worse I’ve never been to a doctor about it but I’m now 25 and I get them very rarely next time I do get one tho I’m going to the doctor to get a prescription because they are still embarrassing and stressful. I feel for all of u who have these because they made my childhood a living hell whenever I got one

Joseph, April 26, 2015 at 11:52 pm
  17. To feelsdifferent I’m a guy that’s been getting them forever and since u know 8 a guy you know I’m constantly touching myself lol 9 very never had one anywhere but the same spot by lip and I haven’t been over concerned about spreading it but since ur a girl I’d be more careful and see what strain u have I’m pretty sure I have the weaker one since it’s never spread just try not to stress because that only makes them worse trust me stress is my main trigger just catch it early with abreva and don’t touch it unless ur putting on medication when the blisters pop don’t let the fluid spread more. Keep it dry so I scabs faster ur lucky u can wear makeup and cover the pink spot when the scab come off because for me it’s a constant reminder. Just see a Dr I wish I would have.

Joseph, April 27, 2015 at 12:05 am
  18. I just found out I got herpes 1 on my lip and I began to have two blisters underneath my bottom lip then I began to have a fever and my throat hurt which I read are some of the symptoms I went to the doctor after five days and she prescribed some medication for me and I feel like I’m getting better although I have read that the virus will forever stay in my body but does that mean I can never kiss anyone again? I also read that kissing someone on the mouth who has herpes who has herpes sores on the mouth can be infected but what if u don’t have the sore anymore? Can u also infect that person will they get the symptoms too?

Veronica, May 31, 2015 at 1:07 am
  19. By applying the principles taught in The Science
    of Getting Rich program.

the science of sex appeal documentary review, July 5, 2015 at 6:18 pm
  20. As you all have read, Herpes is alive and tingling. I have been a nurse for 30 years and I get these buggers. I think mine come from extreme stress or when I have been very ill. I get an outbreak under my nose or on the lip. I have had them 4-5 times in my life. I have Epstein-Barr like almost everyone else. They hurt more than anything and the blisters appear way before I can treat with an anti-viral so I walk around with this huge blister on my face for a week or longer. Since I can’t cure it I try to just keep the pain down and use Campho-Phenique liquid. It is an old treatment and over the counter. I still get embarrassed and I am glad I don’t work outside the home anymore. Stress affects all of us differently and I should know better.

Gretchen, September 20, 2015 at 2:24 pm
  21. I’m 58 years old and I started getting fever blisters/cold sores in about the 3rd grade.
    What works for me?
    This trick helps dry that pesky cold sore up quickly while speeding up the healing time too.

Take an ordinary generic tea bag. (black tea seems to work better than green).
    Steep it in a just few tablespoons of BOILING water.
    You only want enough water to cover the tea bag.
    When it is still warm, without feeling too hot to touch it to your lips or nose, apply it to the cold sore until the bag gets cold.

CHANGE THE BAG FREQUENTLY … it’s why I told you to get generic!

For me it takes 4 or 5 applications, over the course of a couple of hours. But then I can generally feel an unpleasant tingling feeling when I have a cold sore coming on. However, it works almost as quickly with those that get to the blistery/pimply point too! Just takes a little longer and a few more applications to get them drying out.

Just don’t freak out because the tea does stain skin (and clothing). Baby wipes generally remove the tea residue while being very gentle and more importantly disposable. Just remember to DAB don’t RUB or you’ll get more scabbing to deal with.

The tannin in the tea seems to dry a cold sore up very quickly, at least it has for me and the few friends I have told about it. The healing time with the last one I got was just 5 days. Sure it was still there, but it didn’t scream “OMG! LOOK IT’S HERPES!”

Toss any make-up, lipsticks, sunscreen sticks and toothbrushes, basically anything that has been near the sore to prevent another flare up!

Another perk is that I can use the remainder of the tea bags to make Hot or Iced Tea … and you can’t do that with all those other Big Pharma OTC and Health Store products, now can you?

Maggie MacCormack, September 27, 2015 at 4:07 am
  22. I think the American Journal of Medicine needs to re-evaluate cold sores and the term herpes (hsv1 and hsv2). I’ve had cold sores off and on probably since college. Who knows, I might have had the virus all my life and it just showed up in college years. The older I got, the less frequent I had cold sores. I always thought it was herpes also because that term and cold sores have been used interchangeably for so long, it carries the stigma of being an std. So, last year I had my blood tested for std’s and everything came out negative including for hsv1 and hsv2. I asked my doctor if it’s a mistake because I told doctor I’ve had cold sores in the past. My doctor said the next time I get it, to come in and get culture sample taken. Earlier this year, I did blood work again for std’s and again results were negative for stds. No hsv1 or hsv2. What is the likelihood of both blood tests being false negatives for hsv1 and 2? Highly unlikely right? Now it makes me wonder if the cold sores I had were a different strain not detected as herpes. I think there should be more research done and people need to be properly informed that just because you have a cold sore does not mean it’s an std.

Louis Cyfur, October 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm
  23. I’m a guy, 22. I think I’m pretty hygienic, I don’t share food, cups, nothing like that. Then last week I got a cold sore. No idea how. Pretty annoyed at the situation.

Dreading going to work this week, I just wish there was a cure.

And to everyone asking “is it herpes? or can I ever kiss again?” and the like. Yes it’s always herpes, yes you can kiss or do whatever you want with anyone you want so long as you do not have an active cold sore whilst doing so, and it won’t spread. It only spreads when it blisters and bursts. But this means that like the cold, anyone with an active one can touch a button, you can hit it later and contract the virus. Nature sucks huh?

The fact that it’s for life, suck’s.
    The fact that it’s Herpes is even worse.
    And lastly the fact that they are so common and yet I seem to be the only person I’ve seen in years with one, really sucks.

Gota Coldsore, November 3, 2015 at 9:43 pm
  24. I hope this helps someone.. I have had cold sores ever since I can remember I hate
    them I used to get them maybe 3 to 4 times a year. I started noticing a pattern sometimes even when I wasn’t stressed and not sick I would still get a cold sore so I started paying attention to what I was eating. It seemed that almost every time I was having a cold sore I had recently eatin/drank an orange or a raw tomato.. So I decided to stop eating or drinking oranges and I stopped eating raw tomato’s, I still eat tomato sauces just raw tomato’s were effecting me.. A couple months went by and no cold sores :) now I only have one cold sore a year and that’s because of the stress of Christmas shopping lol I haven’t eatin or drank an orange or raw tomato in over 10 years and I’ve continues to only have one cold sore per year all around christmas. I don’t know if this will be the same for everyone but if this comment helps one person I’ll be happy :) God Bless

Stephanie, November 16, 2015 at 12:06 am
  25. My cold sores/fever blisters came from kissing my boyfriend in the 9th grade. HIs was almost gone and I still caught it. L-Lysine is a good supplement to take to keep them at bay. This time my face is itching and when I touch it I have pain. My ear and throat also hurt on the side that the blister is on. This has never happened before and it sucks! I have been putting Thieves oil on this one and it is drying up quickly now if I could just get the side effects of the thing to go away.

stupid blister

stupid blister, January 29, 2016 at 7:05 pm
  26. So sad that when someone gets a cold sore they feel “disgusting, gross”. It is public IGNORANCE that causes us to feel this way. I have had them since I was a baby (probably got a kiss from a relative) and “grew up” dealing with outbreaks. I have felt embarrassed and judged. I am in my 50’s and have learned not to let it bother me but I know how young people feel. Ibelieve we need to educate the public and this should start in health class in schools. How about change the name of the Herpes 1 virus! How about just plain old cold sore! Reduce the stigma any way possible. We deserve to feel comfortable in our bodies.

Unfortunate, February 11, 2016 at 10:39 am
  27. Hi I’m 12 years old and this is the first time I have ever had a cold sore and I just needed clarity . I have been told that a cold sore means herpes but never really believed it. Now I know it’s true and that it is not the same herpes in other areas. I know how I got it, the only person I kiss on the lips is my mother. She gets cold sores a lot,so I am almost positively sure that I got it from her l!!

Zoe, February 12, 2016 at 4:22 am
  28. Hi I’m 17 years old and I have struggled with cold sore for about 10 years now. My dad gave it to me when I was 7 and he kissed me goodnight with a cold sore. For a good two years I never had a cold sore, not once! I thought this is great, maybe I finally grew out of them or I’m just not affected as much! But I was wrong. In mid August I had gotten my first cold sore in a little over 2 years. It was on my bottom lip and it was huge! It hurt so bad and it was very swollen and red. It went away in just a littl over a week. I hoped that it was just a one time deal but as soon as school started up again I was getting them every week! They would show up then go away if I treated it fast enough, then the big one would show up and be stubborn. Anyways my last cold sore was about a month ago and it went away with my prescription of zoriviax which worked great! It relieves the pain instantly and worked within just a day making all the swelling go away. However this past weekend I went away skiing in New Jersey which was very cold and this morning I woke up with 5 cold sores all right next to each other Ina circle on my top left side of my lip. My lip looks enormous plus it’s killing me! I’ve never ever had this many at once! And it is so incredibly painful. I stayed home from school today because of not only the embarrassment but the pain it’s causing me. I put on my prescription hoping it would at least help with the pain and took ideprofen but it still really hurts no matter what. It’s really dry and cracked and just really gross. I’m supposed to get my wisdom teeth out in 3 days but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. My wisdom teeth have been bothering me for so long and they hurt too so I’m hoping this prescription will help these things go away in a day or two but if not, does anyone have any suggestions to make the process go by faster? Thanks

Kelly, March 7, 2016 at 12:58 pm
  29. Hi, I’m 23 years of age and I get them quite often. Sometimes I’d go for about three to four months with no sign of them but sometimes I get them like every week. I’m really confused because I hardly get flu. The last time I got flu was when I was about 14years old,that’s about 6 years back. Now I just get a lite headache and a sore throat then my voice is gone. I’m really scared.

Molatelo Chokoe, March 16, 2016 at 3:05 am
  30. Hi I am 16 and I have only ever had one cold sore in my life (3 years ago) do I still have the virus? And if I do since it has been dormant for so long do I need to be cautious about it?

Matt, March 28, 2016 at 4:06 am
  31. /\ Matt

If you are 100% sure it was a “Herpes Outbreak” I hate to tell you bud, but this puppy stays with you for life. Or at least until Science comes up with a cure which isn’t around yet. With that said, don’t get down about it like I used to. Judging from the fact that you say your last outbreak was 3 years ago I’d say you’re in pretty decent shape. Sometimes the virus can lay dormant within us for many years until something happens in our life such as lots of stress, depression or even a long weekend under the sun may cause an episode. Don’t worry though, if you follow the advice given here using the medications listed such as (Zovirax, Acyclovir) Abreva you can get over the counter, and try to recognize when your body is telling you a blister is about to be unleashed (itching, burning sensation on lip etc.)you will get really good at managing it. Maybe ONE outbreak every several years. Take Care..

Robert, April 7, 2016 at 11:36 am
  32. I recently just kissed a guy when I was sick. I had just a normal cold and didn’t think much of it when we made out. He got a cold sore two days later and now I’m freaked out that I have herpes. I’ve never had a cold sore in my life and we have made out before and nothing happened. He is convinced that the germs from my cold just caused it but I’m really scared that I have herpes. We’ve done a lot of research but keep finding different answers. Do I have herpes and did I give it to my friend?

Anonymous, April 13, 2016 at 1:11 am
  33. More than 85 percent of the population is infected with herpes simplex one virus. It’s not something anyone should be ashamed of as most of us pick it up as kids from over kissy relatives. In some peoples case they never get a cold even though they’re infected. I have a few tips to help people that have cold sores treat them. DO NOT POKE OR BURST THEM. The virus is highly contagious and you can spread it to other areas of your body by pinching and prodding at it. When you get a cold sore take lysine supplements. If you do get cold sores then your iron levels are probably low. The virus binds itself more easily when ferritin levels are low so you should take an iron supplement to prevent them (as prescribed by a doctor of course). If you do touch your cold sores make sure you wash your hand throughly with soap before touching any other part of your body or you could spread the virus. If you do get a break out dab a cotton bud in rubbing alcohol and gently hold it on the sore. In one or two days of doing this the sore would have dried up and scabbed which is the final stage of the cold sore cycle. Once this has happened DO NOT PULL OR PINCH THE SCAB. Use petroleum jelly on the scab to keep it moist so it does not tear or break and this will speed up the healing process. Hope this helps.

Anon, July 3, 2016 at 4:36 am
  34. May God One Day Heal Us All !

Joshua balcazar, July 21, 2016 at 12:13 am
  35. I’ve suffered with cold sores since I was a child I’m 23 now, My mum gets them often and I assume that’s where it came from, I got them a lot in school, I used to pick them and make them worse because I wanted to get rid of them, I got judged for having them and always felt dirty, I didn’t get them for a few years afterwards and started getting them again around a year ago, now I just ignore them and they are gone before I know it but always wondered if there was some sort of prevention medication for them.

Jay, August 10, 2016 at 11:51 am