Why does honey crystallize?

- asks K. York from Madrid, Spain

Honeycomb. [CREDIT: L'OCCITANE]
By | Posted April 9, 2007
Tags: , , , ,

Some morning, when you go into your cabinet to grab honey for your toast, you may find something thick and cloudy in the bottle where your liquid gold treat once was. Has your honey gone bad? Should you throw it out? The answer is probably not. Stored properly, honey can actually last several years.

The main reason honey doesn’t go bad is because of its simple composition: honey is primarily sugar mixed with a little water. This natural, low-moisture state deters bacteria and yeast, both of which find dry environments inhospitable. However, the sugary substance’s inherent dryness can also lead to crystallization, the process that causes honey to become thick and cloudy. Crystallization, which can occur anywhere from a few weeks to a few months after honey has been bought, can be remedied by placing the honey container in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes. But be warned: While honey may naturally have a long shelf life, heating and cooling the spread too many times can cause it to lose its color and aroma, according to the Honey Hotline Fact Sheet. After multiple heating sessions, it’s probably best to throw the honey away.

Several factors determine the time it will take honey to crystallize. First, there are the conditions of the room where the honey is stored. Hot conditions protect honey from crystallizing, but they also degrade the honey and make it vulnerable to yeast and bacteria. Temperatures that are too cold, however, can speed up crystallization. Honey resists crystallization best when kept in at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit, according to experts.

Crystallization rate also depends on the type of honey you keep in your cabinet. There are over 300 types of honey sold in the U.S., according to foodreference.com, and each type crystallizes at a slightly different rate. Tupelo, a high fructose honey, for example, can last for years without crystallizing. Meanwhile, honey from cotton and dandelion blossoms crystallizes more readily.

The last factor that affects crystallization is whether the honey purchased is raw, semi-processed (such as strained), or processed. There is evidence that when stored properly unprocessed or raw honey, which comes straight from the honeycomb and is slightly more expensive to the buyer, resists crystallization longer than processed honey.

Keep in mind, however, that crystallization is not always a bad thing. Beekeepers use a process called controlled crystallization to produce rich and creamy honeys, such as spun honey or churned honey, that are more “spreadable” than the common liquid form. Most beekeepers make these honeys using a variation of a process known as the Dyce Method. This process consists of combining alternating periods of heating and cooling with lots of stirring. If you’re feeling ambitious, it is possible to try out Dyce’s method at home.

In the end, your choice of honey all depends on what you prioritize – flavor, consistency, or longevity. Just be aware that your choice could affect how long it takes for your honey to turn from smooth liquid into crystallized solid.

comments

1. Answered my question perfectly.

thanks

Greg Duncan, April 15, 2008 at 8:57 am
  2. “Some morning, when you go into your cabinet to grab honey for your toast, you may find something thick and cloudy in the bottle where your liquid gold treat once was.”

That’s exactly why I googled ‘crystallized honey’ and found this article. Thanks!

Kaston, May 20, 2008 at 8:31 am
  3. Kaston — me, too!

Thanks y’all for explaining the why and how. Gotta love Google.

txgirl, June 7, 2008 at 1:38 pm
  4. This article doesn’t really explain why honey crystalizes. It describe conditions under which it occurs but “the sugary substance’s inherent dryness can also lead to crystallization” isn’t enough of an explanation for me.

bill, November 3, 2008 at 2:42 pm
  5. It was a great answer for me. I don’t really care what’s happening at the molecular level…it’s honey…I just want to know if I can eat it, or if I have to throw it out. However, Bill, I can give you the short and sassy on “why” honey crystallizes…it crystallizes because it can…and that’s good enough for me:-)

psygrad, November 10, 2008 at 8:35 am
  6. Saves me a trip to the grocery store! Thank you. :)

Jo, November 27, 2008 at 4:21 am
  7. I was looking how to speed up the process since my wife actually prefers it crystallized… Thanks

Matt, December 7, 2008 at 9:32 pm
  8. Matt, if you’re looking to make it crystallize fast, I’ve noticed that when I’ve accidentally left a jar of honey on the windowsill in the sun, boom — it crystallizes completely. I’ve done this a few times, and it’s what led me to google “crystallized honey” in the first place!

Allie, December 9, 2008 at 8:36 am
  9. Thanks for great deal of information. Being formulation scientist it helped me a lot to develop a better formulation. But i feel more of the explanation could have done much better. thanks anyways..

Anand Deshmukh, December 18, 2008 at 1:10 am
  10. Honey sometimes takes
    on a semi-solid state
    known as crystallized or
    granulated honey. This
    natural phenomenon
    happens when glucose,
    one of three main sugars
    in honey, spontaneously
    precipitates out of the
    supersaturated honey
    solution. The glucose
    loses water (becoming
    glucose monohydrate)
    and takes the form of a
    crystal (a solid body with
    a precise and orderly
    structure).1 The crystals
    form a lattice which
    immobilizes other
    components of honey in a
    suspension thus creating
    moisture, the honey becomes
    more susceptible to
    fermentation.
    While crystallization is usually
    undesirable in liquid honey,
    controlled crystallization can
    be used to make a desirable
    product. Crystallization can be
    deliberately induced, and with
    control, can be used to create
    a product known as cremed
    honey. This is also known as
    creamed honey, spun honey,
    whipped honey, churned
    honey or honey fondant.
    Spontaneous crystallization
    results in a coarse and grainy
    product. Controlled
    crystallization results in a
    product with a smooth,
    spreadable consistency.
    Why does honey crystallize?
    Honey crystallizes because it
    is a supersaturated solution.
    This supersaturated state
    occurs because there is so
    much sugar in honey (more
    than 70%) relative to the water
    content (often less than 20%).
    Glucose tends to precipitate
    out of solution and the solution
    changes to the more stable
    saturated state.
    The monohydrate form of
    glucose can serve as seeds
    or nuclei which are the
    essential starting points for
    the formation of crystals.
    Other small particles, or even
    air bubbles, can also serve as
    seeds for the initiation of
    crystallization.
    What factors influence
    crystallization?
    Many factors influence the
    crystallization of honey.
    Some batches of honey never
    crystallize, while others do so
    within a few days of
    extraction. Honey removed
    from the comb and processed
    with extractors and pumps is
    likely to crystallize faster then
    if it was left in the comb.1
    Most liquid honey crystallizes
    within a few weeks of
    extraction.
    The tendency of honey to
    crystallize depends primarily
    on its glucose content and
    moisture level.

Anand Deshmukh, December 18, 2008 at 1:15 am
  11. Thanks for this article. The part about heating multiple times was a help since I will be heating my jar for the second time now.
    One part still concerns me:
    “Has your honey gone bad? Should you throw it out? The answer is probably not.”
    What does bad honey look/smell/taste like? Is it harmful?

Thanks again.

lyle, December 30, 2008 at 9:07 am
  12. Thanks for all the information, especially the second paragraph of the main article by Erica Westly where she states the fact that “honey is sugar and some water.” In a way that is rather disappointing. Aren’t there any nutricious and healthful, healing nutrients in honey?

Varouj, December 31, 2008 at 4:05 pm
  13. As helpful as the original article was, Anand’s explaination was much more informative and more precise. Thanks Anand.

Brian, January 8, 2009 at 7:06 am
  14. I thought it was a great article for someone who just wants casual explanation of why honey crystalizes – That would be me! However, Anand’s write up was even more informative….but I still appreciated the main article. Thanks!

Sasha, January 11, 2009 at 4:58 am
  15. Great article, and it has nothing to do with Google. I used Yahoo and this was the first result which answered my concerns.

Wayne, January 22, 2009 at 8:44 pm
  16. I eat my peas with honey
    I’ve done it all my life
    They do taste kind of funny
    But it keeps them on my knife

Anon

Random.Hold, January 27, 2009 at 1:54 pm
  17. How do u cristallize the honey. my honey is now at a liquidy state but i want it to be hard…how can i do this…make the temp. warmer or cooler? please help before my honey expire.:)

alex lorenzo, February 1, 2009 at 2:47 am
  18. What in de hell? My honey is in a bucket and it gets flies in it. Why do it do that? Somebody said that monkeys make honey and then they poop.

Jibby Jib, February 8, 2009 at 9:29 pm
  19. Jibby Jib is an idiot.

common sense, March 24, 2009 at 7:47 am
  20. “Some morning, when you go into your cabinet to grab honey for your toast, you may find something thick and cloudy in the bottle where your liquid gold treat once was.”

That was exactly what happened, except it was one evening, and it was for a salmon steak I just baked. I love to spread some honey on top of hot salmon to make it shiny and sugary but to my dismay, my precious squeezable bottle of liquid gold was not squeezable anymore. That’s why I yahooed and your article came up. Worked like magic. Thanks for the info.

HH, March 24, 2009 at 9:17 pm
  21. Hilariuos comments about a very informative article! Bill, from Nov 3, 2008, read Anand Deshmukh’s explanation.Good Luck! Alex Lorenzo, the answer to your question is embedded in Erica Westly’s explanation. Click on the link, Dyce’s method. Good luck too.

Erica, thanks for the info!

chikadee nutter, April 17, 2009 at 11:08 am
  22. I noticing that after purchasing 2 identical jars of honey and putting both together in a cupboard (room temperature)that after several weeks one of them had crystalised and the other had not.
    I then decided to find out if one had something in it to cause this to happen,so I bought another jar and put a spoonful of the crystaline honey into the fresh jar and set it with the others.
    Sure enough it eventually become fully crystalline,I have since done the same experiment with a furthur 5 jars with the same effect,and the original uncrystalised one is still unaltered and sitting on the same shelf as the others.
    I think that Anand Deshmukh’s (above)theory is correct and that the crystal’s I introduced acted as ‘seeds’ for furthur crystalisation.
    Like Matt’s wife (no 7 above)I love the crystalline variety if she wants it like this just put a spoonful into the uncrystalline jars and she can produce it for years to come !

Derrick Montgomery, August 9, 2009 at 7:25 am
  23. How long do you put it in hot water? Can I use the water from when I boil eggs and just have the plastic squeeze bottle of honey in the hot water? Will the hot water melt the plastic bottle?

How long will the honey stay uncrystalized after the first time you heat it? I saved 2 quart sized bottles that had crystalized with less than a 1/16″ in both bottles. I’d like to use that honey before I buy new bottles. Will it last at least a week @ 70 degrees before crystalizing once again?

kma, September 21, 2009 at 10:29 am
  24. I purchase honey in the quart size. Originally I had the little honey bear that I refilled from the quart. I noticed after the third or fourth time I refilled the honey bear it begin to thicken but the honey in the quart container stayed clear. I assumed that the exposure to air was the cause of the crystalizing as the bear was being used daily. The last time I bought the quart of honey thinking it didn’t crystize in the quart….I’ve used it from the quart daily. It’s almost half gone and is getting thick and crystalizing. If loosing moisture is the culprit than I should probably go back to the samller container and just keep refilling it. We put it on our oatmeal with a quarter of a teaspoon of cinnamon. Great breakfast…..

Joyce, November 21, 2009 at 12:54 pm
  25. I’m just going to buy small containers from now on.

Jim, January 13, 2010 at 9:36 pm
  26. I am very dissapointed with my jar of honey, I prefer when honey does not crystalize. I will try the warming method. I will also find a recipe for honey, it will discourage me from throwing it away.

Wolfcastle, February 1, 2010 at 1:29 pm
  27. wonderful article! Thank you!

mark, February 5, 2010 at 8:43 am
  28. It answered my question.

Linda, April 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm
  29. It is my understanding that honey never goes bad. It can, like any food, become contaminated by undesirable sustances. Three thousand year old honey has beeen found in Egyptian tombs. Although solid it was still edible!

A beekeeper told me that a person with allergies can often can find relief by ingesting honey daily from a hive within 50 miles of where they live!

I would not advise heating honey in a plastic container (or any other food for that matter) in a microwave. Plastics contain chemicals that can leach out into foods and this is especially true when heat is applied. The hot water method somewhat reduces this risk but I feel there is still some likely exposure that results.

Gene Maxim, April 21, 2010 at 10:43 am
  30. Just like Derrick (#22) I have a bottle of crystalized and identical bottles that are still fluid and beautiful. I thought introduction of air had been the cause, but the introduction of “seed” crystals make sense.

I purchased 3 qts of honey because of an exceptional sale, and have stored them all together. Just like with Joyce(#24), the one that is open, remained clear for several weeks. When about half was left, I noticed the lid was getting getting more difficult to remove, and the honey itself was starting to cloud. It was fully crystalized within the week. Seed crystals from the lid would explain the rapid consistency change in the rest of the bottle. I knew it was not a spoilage issue.

I have had honey crystalize before, and I remember it frequently in my childhood. My mother always purchased large containers of honey, and we never finished them before they crystalized. I always associated it with age, thinking that all honey would crystalize at a similar point. I have always purchased smaller amounts before, and had not had the opportunity to compare identical bottles in my cupboard until now.

I do not re-heat honey unless absolutely necessary, since it always goes right back to crystal form. It works well just to spoon into tea as is, or stir into warmed liquid ingredients for recipes. I find crystalized honey has an interesting texture for peanut butter & honey mixtures. The crystalized honey will still flow to the top of the bottle if stored upside down to get the last quantity from the bottle.

I think my next experiment will be when I open bottle #2. I will empty it into several clean sterile jelly jars, then vacuum seal them without the introduction of seed crystals to see if they will all stay clear until opened for use. Who said you can’t have fun with your food?

Marlene, May 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm
  31. Thanks, gotta love the internet. What in the world did we ever do without it…

Ronnie, May 25, 2010 at 6:24 pm
  32. How can i tell between a good honey and bad honey. This is especially whether the honey I purchase the honey had been added with sugar and water

simon, August 25, 2010 at 12:03 am
  33. When you heat honey is changes its molecular structure. In Ayurveda, honey that has been heated is considered toxic. Your body can not completely breakdown, utilize or dispose of the honey and some of that will remain in the body as a toxin. Of course none of this has been proven here in the West where we still think that there aren’t any problems with unnatural substances like high fructose corn syrup. Some things are best purchased raw and unpasteurized and honey is one of them.

Don, January 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm
  34. A very good article and explanation. It clarifies the purity of honey.

M Krishnan, Visakhapatnam, February 14, 2011 at 2:05 am
  35. Ditto Bill #4, Thank you Anand Deshmukh for # 10

Dan, February 16, 2011 at 7:58 am
  36. Thanks for the information. We buy the same brand month after month. Seemed like this bottle got cloudy within about 2 weeks of opening it. Didn’t expect that. Our indoor temp was probably mid 60’s so that might have had something to do with it.

Jerry, March 7, 2011 at 7:45 am
  37. Wow are we glad we found this cool site! Now when my six year old asks his daily barrage of why questions, I have a new place to look! Thanks.

Abby, March 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm
  38. the internet knows everything !!!!

CJ, March 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm
  39. Im doing a science fair project on why honey does that

jessie, March 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm
  40. The links to honey.com do not work.

js, May 11, 2011 at 9:42 am
  41. If the crystallization is caused by the honey drying out slightly, can’t I just add a small amount of water to it when I heat it to re-liquify it, and thus retard the re-crystallization? Can someone tell me if that would work?

Dave, May 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm
  42. There are some misconceptions here. Don’t throw your honey away! It easily lasts forever, even if you are heating it and cooling it. Do not add water, Dave! One of the reasons honey does not spoil is the high sugar & low water content in it. Just put it in a sunny window in the summer or put the container in 100 to 120 degree water until it is liquid again.

Support your local beekeepers!

nimblegoat, June 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm
  43. Don’t heat the honey, it kills the goodness.
    Crystallization is a sign of healthy honey, embrace the crystals, they taste better!
    Local is better, organic is better.
    If you can get both in one, that is best.

ojaw, August 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm
  44. 2000 year old jars of honey were found in Egyptian tombs and it was still edible! I don’t think you need to throw your honey away.

Jennifer, August 30, 2011 at 1:23 am
  45. HI PEOPLE, THIS IS A VERY STRANGE QUESTION, I RECENTLY BOUGHT A JAR OF GALE’S HONEY AND AFTER A FEW DAYS I MADE SOME TOAST AND SPREAD IT ON AND WENT TO EAT IT AND IT STANK OF URINE. I ALMOST WAS SICK. CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN IF THIS IS NORMAL OR IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE ACTUAL PRODUCT…IT WAS SO OFF PUTTING I PUT IT BACK IN CUPBOARD THEN TODAY MY SON CAME IN MOANING THAT THE HONEY SMELT OF URINE…NOT A PLEASANT ODOUR..

serena, April 15, 2012 at 9:06 am
  46. Great article and thanks to Anand (http://scienceline.org/2007/04/ask-westly-crystallizedhoney/#comment-2553) for his more detailed explanation.

I would like to add that warming up honey will not harm it. Boiling it will probably neutralize a lot of the nutritional benefits. So, it’s best to put the crystallized honey into a glass jar (if not already in one), and submerge this in very hot water (NOTE–make sure the jar is at least room temperature, to avoid cracking from the rapid temperature change). The warming effect will gradually turn the crystals back into liquid form. Do this until ALL of the crystals appear to be gone. Clean the rim of the jar and the lid, so that no lingering crystals may plunge into the honey (and be a catalyst for crystallization again).

Also, you should be able to consume the honey after this first time warming. If you buy honey in large quantities and can’t use it up before crystallization sets in, then separate it into a couple of containers and freeze one of them. It’s true–you can freeze honey and it won’t turn into a hard block of ice. It will thicken like taffy, but it’ll liquefy once brought back to room temperature.

Gary in NYC, May 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm
  47. I bought 4 tubs of honey from a home bee keeper and i put some in a small dispenser,it was fine for about 3 weeks but now it has crystallized,my home is warm because I have ducted heating but it hasn’t helped,where can i keep it to stay liquid?
    Thanks reg.Connie.

Connie Barb., June 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm
  48. Answer our questions about the cause of crystalization in honey and more.
    Thanks!

1adybug, June 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm
  49. Glad I found this article. I bought a $12 bottle of honey from a local farm recently, and it clouded up with a week! Although it’s no longer pretty to look like, it melted down nicely on my waffles, and still tastes great. I’m so glad I found this article before jumping the gun and throwing it away. Thanks again!

Jen, July 28, 2012 at 11:22 am
  50. Thanks! you really helped me with my science fair project

audrey hills, October 22, 2012 at 6:55 pm
  51. From what I’ve found, the more processed the least likely it is to crystallize. My “raw” honey I just got from my two hives crystallized within in about 2 weeks, yet the stuff you find at grocery stores never tends to crystallize.

Tyler, December 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm
  52. JUST ONE QUESTION. ALMOST ALL THE HONEY I HAVE BOUGHT CRYSTALIZES QUICKLY IF PUT IN THE FRIDGE.
    best ther to keep ants away…

QUESTIONL what about one that won’t crystalize >>>>?????????

MARTHA, January 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm
  53. NEVERMIND I FOUND MY ANSWER RIGHT HERE. SORRY. VERY V ERY GOOD ARTICLE. THANK YOU.

MARTHA, January 23, 2013 at 3:33 pm
  54. I purchase large quantities of honey when I see it on sale because I enjoy making mead. I find the really raw honey that has never been heated that contains pollen, propolis, honeycomb and live enzymes does not ferment. I have to either boil the mixture and scoop off the scum that floats similar to making chicken soup for it to work. That is the healthiest type of honey for human consumption because it contains natural pesticides, fungicides and is naturally antbacterial.

Once you boil the honey to clarify it amd make it able to come out of a squeeze jar part of the natural barrier is broken down. I had five three pound bottles I used for my mead making last night that I bought from target a year after my five pound jar of really raw honey and they all crystalized so bad that I had to cut the tops off the bottles and scoop the contents even after a hot water soak for twenty minutes. Once I got the mixture out I set it in water on the stove at 140 degrees for 20 minutes. The crystals formed such clumps that I had to extend the. Heating and stirring an additional ten minutes.

The pan that had the most crystals had the most clumpy frothy sticky floaties on it that I had to scoop out. Just by observation I can deduce that the cause was from impurities somehow. It could be the plastic container or a breakdown in natural defense… either way I wojld only conclude that honey is indefinite so long as it is stored in a container that won’t break down like glass, remains dry, dark and stored in it’s natural raw state.

It can be logically concluded that putting honey in the sun to crystallize is doing it by feeding a living organism warmth and sunlight. The most likely culprits are naturally occuring yeasts. As many know, yeast can remain dormant for long periods of time in the store and at home when refrigerated. Once you heat it up to 105-120 degrees F and introduce sugar it comes to life.

Make your own deductions, but the only way I use heated honey is to make alcohol. I only consume raw natural unheated honey.

Introduction of water will lead to the sugar breaking down rather quickly.

ponch, January 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm
  55. It should be noted that there are two main types of yeast strains. Lager yeast strains thrive in cold temperatures and is the reason why making sake and lagers does best between 45-58 degrees F and ale yeast between 60-76 degrees F. If you find it cystalizes in the fridge then you likely have tiny amounts of cold weather yeast or lager yeast in the container. If it thrivs in the warm sun then it is warm weather or ale yeast that is the commonly purchased yeast used for baking such as red star.

ponch, January 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm
  56. I forgot to include that my three year old jar of really raw honey haz zero crystals. The two year old jars were almost solid with crystals before I ever opened the container. In my opinion the cause of this was from unsanitary conditions when bottling the honey.

It is likely that the manufacturing company used a hose at some point to clean machines. That moisture along with sugar likely inoculated future batches. The only way to kill all invasive bacteria, yeast, molds and bugs is to pasturize the mixture. That means heating it above 140 degrees for 20 minutes or more. It also requires the container to be heated to the same temp. Since plastic melts I highly doubt that was done on the container. Also since honey burns rather easily I doubt it was pasturized.

Long story short… there isn’t enough data to firmly conclude a cause. To air on the side of caution I will only purchase honey in glass containers in the future.

ponch, January 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm
  57. My children did a science experiement with crystallizing honey. They had to add water to different containers of honey to see which one would crystallize first. They also put the containers in freezer and some in the fridge to help spead up the project. NOTHING HAPPENED.

Should the pure honey (without water) crystallize first or one of the containers with water?

science mom, February 20, 2013 at 12:48 pm
  58. i spin my bees honey 3 or 4 times last year
    i tend a few hives at a few different locations
    i handle them all in the same manner
    i store them in my garage in northern calif
    i have 3 different consistencies
    they were all fluid when packed and sealed
    never opened
    MY Question is :
    does the harder containers of honey have less water and more sugar then the not as hard containers of honey

Venom, February 25, 2013 at 9:54 pm
  59. I appreciate the in depth answer as that is what I was looking for. It seems to me my honey doesn’t crystalize if I don’t stick a spoon in it and only pour it onto the spoon. I’ll have to watch to see if that is an accurate statement.

Jennifer Harvey, April 17, 2013 at 11:51 am
  60. The problem I have experienced which is not explained in this article is that I have two containers of honey next to each other on the same pantry shelf. One crystallized while the other did not. But the weirdest part is that honey in both bottles came from the same container of honey. I purchased a large container of honey at our local BJ’s shopping club. Since the large plastic container was a bit unwieldy, I transferred some of the honey into a smaller more manageable plastic squeeze bottle. The smaller bottle crystallized. Please explain…

gray, April 20, 2013 at 9:58 am
  61. The only honey I’ve bought that never crystalized on me was tupelo honey from the Savannah Bee Co. Excellent honey.

Avery, May 5, 2013 at 10:50 am
  62. Was looking at honey as a leave-in hair conditioner and found this….

…..”What in de hell? My honey is in a bucket and it gets flies in it. Why do it do that? Somebody said that monkeys make honey and then they poop.”…..

Thanks Jibby Jib….You made my day

tammyfaith66, May 6, 2013 at 11:02 am
  63. I’ve never heard of honey going bad. In fact, they have found honey in the pyramids of Egypt and it was perfectly fine to eat; now that’s some 4000 + years ago! So for all intents and purposes, honey lasts forever. Unless you have contaminated your honey with something that can thrive in that sweet environment, don’t throw it out. Enjoy!

Cachi, June 10, 2013 at 7:18 pm
  64. PONCH, it could be concluded that there’s sufficient evidence you should retake English 101. Possibly Hooked-on-Phonics could remedy your illness. This way you can rest assured not to always “air” on the side of caution.

pklepinowski, December 8, 2013 at 9:56 am
  65. did anyone answer why the ladies jar of honey smelled like urine.i have never had that happen but I would just like to know why hers smelled like urine.thanks.great web site.

ron, January 12, 2014 at 7:31 am
  66. Thank you for this info. I thought the one that i bought from the local vendor is fake. she transferred the honey with its honey comb intact. when i put it inside the fridge,after a few days i found out that it crystallize.Well at least I know now that I was the one mistaken.

christine, March 24, 2014 at 9:12 am
  67. This site was helpful. Thanks.

Eduardo, May 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm
  68. It’s funny to see that no one has pointed out how honey actually can bad. Honey may ferment if left crystallized for too long. If your honey is turning a pale yellow in feathered streaks the it is fermenting and isn’t really salvageable unless it is a small amount you can scoop out. If your honey is like this just throw it away.

Kai, May 28, 2014 at 8:10 am
  69. Instead of heating the whole jar of crystallized honey, which can increase its deterioration as mentioned, just scoop out and heat as much as you will use in one sitting. That way the rest never goes through the heat/cool cycles. Simply heat a scoop or two in the microwave for a few seconds on low power.

crystallizedhoneyinmycupboard, July 25, 2014 at 8:43 pm
  70. Can honey be processed in a hot water bath?

Jeanne, August 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm