Why Do We Have Wisdom Teeth?

- asks Rachele Cooper, a scienceline staff member

A troublesome tooth. [CREDIT: DR.BUNN.COM]
By | Posted February 5, 2007
Tags: ,

Not just a year ago my wisdom was tucked tightly away in my mouth, just below the surface of my gums, bothering no one. And then, last fall, it decided to emerge in the shape of three large, impacted teeth that had to come out. As I lay under the dental surgeon’s tools over the holidays, slowly coming out of my anesthesia, I wondered to myself: where did these teeth come from?

Anthropologists believe wisdom teeth, or the third set of molars, were the evolutionary answer to our ancestor’s early diet of coarse, rough food – like leaves, roots, nuts and meats – which required more chewing power and resulted in excessive wear of the teeth. The modern diet with its softer foods, along with marvels of modern technologies such as forks, spoons and knives, has made the need for wisdom teeth nonexistent. As a result, evolutionary biologists now classify wisdom teeth as vestigial organs, or body parts that have become functionless due to evolution.

Why do wisdom teeth wait to erupt long after the tooth fairy has stopped leaving change under your pillow? Tooth development, from baby primary teeth to permanent teeth, takes place in an organized fashion, over a course of years, with the first molar erupting around the age of six and the second molar erupting around the age of 12. Wisdom teeth, which begin forming around your tenth birthday, are the last set of molars on the tooth-development timeline, so they usually don’t erupt until you are between the ages of 17 and 25. Because this is the age that people are said to become wiser, the set of third molars has been nicknamed “wisdom teeth.”

Some people never get wisdom teeth, but for those who do, the number may be anywhere from one to four – and, on very rare occasions, more than four, according to a study published in the Journal of the Canadian Dental Association. Scientific literature has yet to be able to explain why the number of teeth per individual varies, but for those who do get these extraneous, or supernumerary, teeth, it can lead to all sorts of problems.

Because human jaws have become smaller throughout evolutionary history, when wisdom teeth form they often become impacted, or blocked, by the other teeth around them. Also, if the tooth partially erupts, food can get trapped in the gum tissue surrounding it, which can lead to bacteria growth and, possibly, a serious infection.

Wisdom teeth that do not erupt but remain tucked away can also lead to oral problems, such as crowding or displacement of permanent teeth. On very rare occasions, a cyst (fluid filled sac) can form in the soft tissue surrounding the impacted wisdom tooth. These cysts can lead to bone destruction, jaw expansion, or damage to the surrounding teeth. Even more uncommonly, tumors can develop in the cysts, which can lead to the jaw spontaneously breaking if the tumor or cyst grows too much.

There are patients that develop wisdom teeth that function just as well as every other tooth in the mouth, and as a result they do not need to go under the knife. But no one can predict when third molar complications will occur, and the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons estimates that about 85 percent of wisdom teeth will eventually need to be removed.

If you do have wisdom teeth that you are thinking of having taken out, the association strongly recommends that patients remove wisdom teeth when they are young adults, in order to “prevent future problems and to ensure optimal healing.” People who have oral surgery after the age of 35 have higher risks for complications, harder surgeries, and longer healing times than those who get them removed in their late teens or early 20’s. The best time to get those suckers out is when the roots are about two-thirds formed, which is generally between the ages of 15 to 18. Though I was…well, a lady never tells her age, but suffice it to say that for me, a weeks long lack of locution and a diet of soup and applesauce was worth no longer having pain in my jaw and food in my teeth.

comments

1. Very interesting! you learn something new everyday! hahah. i enjoyed this one!

Ashley Cooper, February 5, 2007 at 9:37 pm
  2. Very informative article. I will pass this along to two of my three children who will have a better understanding of the “Why” of Wisdom Teeth Extractions.

Keep up the good work!

Rosemary Brinig

Rosemary Brinig, February 5, 2007 at 10:41 pm
  3. I think that if wisdom teeth were a disadvantage, they would be missing in more of us. Of all the people I know, there are only two (mother-daughter) missing them completely.
    In my personal opinion, the wisdom teeth are “spare parts”, growing at the right time to take the place of whatever teeth one has lost. Sort of like the baby teeth.
    I’m basing this on my personal experience. I have lost one molar when I was 16, and because I did not replace it for some years, the teeth surrounding the empty space have moved. The empty space got smaller, to the size of a premolar (makes teeth cleaning interesting, they always loose their count, and end up with too many premolars, and then they check my chart).
    The wisdom tooth on that side is the only one that I have that is fully erupted, all the rest are half-grown.
    You see, I’m an engineer, I need to see how stuff works in a very newtonian way…

That being said, I tried to sell my theory to my dentist, who told me that the wisdom teeth are much weaker than the other teeth, so they don’t make very good spare parts… More like the mini spare tire I have in my trunk…
    Also, I looked at my XRays, and the teeth that have moved, have not “slided” gracefully, their apex (the tip of the roots) seems to have not moved, only the rest was tilted. Which does not make for good mechanics…

In conclusion, I think it is best to have the wisdom teeth removed as a child (since they are smaller, it is easier to extract them, and the risk of damage to the mandibular canal is much reduced).

Ileana, February 7, 2007 at 3:54 am
  4. Well im a dental assistant so yes wisdom teeth are funtionless teeth but we all get em if they deside to erupt sometimes it can effect the other teeth and push forwad then u need to take emm out but if they dnt borther you then the dentist leaves emm there… And they are the biggest tooth in the mouth besides the canine havin the longest root

debra, February 11, 2007 at 6:47 pm
  5. Interesting! I had only two so called wisdom teeth. Both in my lower jaw, and by the time I was 19 and had them removed, seriously impacted. Both of them were growing forward in my jaw and I got terrible headaches. The removal was traumatic and the recovery took a week but I have never regretted having them removed. One incidental effect of the removal was that over time my teeth have migrated some with the extra space in my jaw. It is not aesthetically pleasing but I have room to floss all of my teeth that did not exist before the removal. I only know of one person of my acquaintance whse wisdom teeth grew in naturally.

Melodious, February 12, 2007 at 11:35 am
  6. As a result of my wisdom teeth being extracted in my early teens, I actually stopped delevoping mentally and have yet to prove I have anything intelligent or wise to say on the matter of wisdom or teeth. Great article….

Jimmy, February 12, 2007 at 6:23 pm
  7. I have had all 4 wisdom teeth pop up during the past few years. I am currently in pain over the fourth one. Although all of them hurt as bad as this, i have never seen the need to extract them, but after reading this article and enduring this pain again, i am considering having them all extracted. Thanks for sharing this great article.

Natlie, February 13, 2007 at 7:05 am
  8. I was just wondering this actually, as my dentist on Monday urged me to just get ‘em yanked (though they all came in without issue). The scary “after the age of 35″ advice above is unpleasant, but I suppose somewhat obvious and a good reason to get it over with. Can I eat nothing but ice cream the whole week of recovery?

TG, February 16, 2007 at 2:09 am
  9. I really have no memory of my wisdom teeth erupting. I do remember being a freshman in college and having a dental exam at a graduate dental school. The dentist was very interested in my mouth and went away to get two or three students to gather around before she announced while pointing a flash light into my mouth that I had two erupted wisdom teeth, one top right , the other bottom left. “You have no pain?” No I have no problems with my teeth. I am 43 now and I wouldn’t have them out for anything. They are very useful teeth. Of course if you talk to a dentist, they would take them out and you would be in terrible pain. Keep ‘em its a no brainer.

Greg, February 20, 2007 at 11:21 am
  10. I had a wisdom tooth extraction today, my third and last one. Hurrah!!! All of them were badly decayed and quite painful, and one in particular that was impacted required a mini-surgery. I’m delighted to no longer have my wisdom teeth around and don’t regret the extractions for a second. This is something my doctor didn’t tell me but I took 5 drops of Arnica 30c before my extraction and five drops afterwards, and I feel just great! Arnica is taking care of not just the post-procedural pain and inflammation but also healed my post-root canal treatment pain a few days ago, which I consider miraculous considering the agony I was in before I got it done.

My advice would definitely be to get rid of your wisdom teeth asap before they start causing you trouble, like mine did. They really don’t serve any useful purpose in today’s day and age.

Venus, February 28, 2007 at 11:50 am
  11. Alright, so nine days have past since the agonizing event of my “wisdom” teeth extraction. As of now, all I have to say is…. NOTHING….. Although typing WILL do. The art of speech, which I thought i had mastered, has been yanked and tossed aside like the devil teeth i once had. Before I explain I must inform all, that along with my extraction I also had a tooth exposed, second molar is what I like to call him… or her for those who stand strong for gender equality. Anyhow, the surgery itself had it’s ups and downs. I waited long before i was approached by the anesthesiologist (spelled that on with no help)who was actually a close friend of the family (another brow sweat wiper); This long wait caused much anxiety (if im going to boast about my accomplishments i must be honest and say that i did in-fact use the help of google for the spelling of that one). Once I layed down on the bed of holiday squashers and stared up at the bright lights I came face to face for my love of oxygen throught a tube. I was scared. Of what, I am not sure, but i was scared. I then remembered the euphoric effect oxygen has on a person and begun to inhale deeply through my nose. Then came the sweet, sweet drugs that MY new friend had administered me. Off to the land of twilight for me. Upon awakening, all i remembered was the annoyed dental assistant pushing my hand away and scratching my nose for me. A funny thought to make my day. I was feeling fine untill the freezing wore off. Then came the pain, then came the tylonol 3, which I found a little strong for my likes. I rarely felt pain, but when I did, I paid for any pleasure. Healing took about a week. The pain is relevent today. There are 3 different pains I have encountered throughout these past nine days. First, the pain open wounds cause; Second, the pain swore jaw muscles cause, and third, the pain of headaches, and the uncomfortability of feeling nauseous and faint. Upon speaking to my cousin, (a dental assistant) and self discovery, i learned of the nerves that are in the back of my mouth that can cause me to feel faint (a horrible experience). I now am suffering the swore jaw, (a really swore jaw, i have a small mouth i cannot, and choose not to imagine how they got into the back of my mouth, definatly not with ease, for me at least, this explains my lack of speech) as well as the joy of feeling faint as i squeese the salt water contents of a seringe into the well that leads to my exposed tooth. Through all of this, i have come to the conclusion that although it sucked, it probably would have sucked a lot more leaving the devil teeth in. Lookin at my recent x-ray I have noticed that I was in for a hellish impaction. I was onto solids the day after but i preferred soups and ice creams. My advise to anyone who is going under the lights and blade is to inhale deeply through your nose after the give you the oxygen, and if your squeemish, dont ask your cousin who is a dental assistant to give you the scaring mental images of the surgery.

Jason marx, April 8, 2007 at 3:15 am
  12. Oh it was only supposed to be a comment… I cant speak, im lonely. Artcle explains the reasoning behind the experience, definatly tackling the matter at hand. GET EM’ OUT..

Jason marx, April 8, 2007 at 3:17 am
  13. Oh yeah, im sixteen so sweet deals getting them out now, and for the record, i had tylonol half way through typing this. the swore jaw sucks

Jason marx, April 8, 2007 at 3:23 am
  14. I’m now 21 and I only have two wisdom teeth and they are both on my upper jaw. I don’t have any on the bottom jaw.

They are not bothering me at all and the good news is that the dentist told me that they are came out straight…Hooray

Bad news is that I ended up wearing braces…ouch

Lilia, April 8, 2007 at 3:30 pm
  15. The other bad news is that I had to have four of my premolars remove before having braces. The ones behind the canines and now to make matters worse I need to having fillings done on the front incisor.

Lilia, April 8, 2007 at 3:33 pm
  16. First of all, jason marx, you are absolutely hilarious.
    Secondly, my 15 year old daughter is having her 4 wisdom teeth yanked this Friday. I am really nervous. I don’t handle seeing her in pain well. Poor kid. It seems like a rite of passage. I had all four of mine taken when I was 19. It was awful, but I survived. She will too. I just feel so bad for her.

Kim, April 23, 2007 at 12:47 pm
  17. Very informative indeed!
    I’ll be going for a wisdom tooth extraction this evening.Hope all goes well.

A-a, May 15, 2007 at 5:18 am
  18. I’m so glad that I don’t have any issue with wisdom tooth! I’m just over 30 this year and none has erupted. My dentist asked me to do an x-ray to locate them but I’ll rather lie low. Nevertheless, this article is very informative. Thank you!

kraken, June 5, 2007 at 8:07 am
  19. Regarding the preventive removal of wisdom teeth:

My wisdom teeth all came in straight between the ages of 17 and 21, although the top ones didn’t come in as far down as the teeth next to them. I actually use these teeth sometimes, and I like having them. Also, before I had them, occasionally a sharp piece of food, such as a potato chip, would cut into the gum behind my second molars, so the wisdom teeth protect the gums back there a little bit.

I don’t have 32 teeth, though, because I did have to have the teeth right behind my canines removed for spacing for braces when I was 16. That bothered me because they were perfectly healthy. I asked the dentist to send them to a dental school instead of just throwing them out, and he said he would.

I’ve never been a believer in having unnecessary surgery, or having something healthy removed because “it might cause problems one day.” My childhood dentist was ahead of his time in some ways, and he agreed. But he said it was very important that I keep them clean and floss both the front and back of each one. He thought they would probably last my lifetime if I would do that.

I’ve written on my registration form at every dentist I’ve ever gone to that “I do not want my wisdom teeth removed.” Dentists always ask me about this comment. A few dentists tried in the past to get me to have them removed, which made me wonder if maybe they were, as one poster wrote, just trying to make some more money.

They did a big study in Britain a few years ago, and my beliefs were borne out – the study recommended against preventive removal of healthy wisdom teeth if they are not crowding other teeth. I think I read recently that the practice is much less common in Britain, and is now becoming less common in the U.S.

I’m now nearly 40 years old and the teeth are fine. In the past ten years when dentists have seen my comment on a form, they always have said something like, “Oh yeah, your wisdom teeth are fine. You don’t need to have them out. Who told you that you did?”

However, it is true, as another poster’s dentist said, that wisdom teeth are weaker than other teeth and often don’t grow as well or as strongly. My childhood dentist explained this to me. He said they are more rudimentary. The enamel is often incompletely formed as well. I had to have tiny fillings put on the inside edges of each one where the enamel didn’t quite come together.

Make your own decision based all the information available to you and your own feelings about the issue. I’m not afraid of surgery, but everyone should remember that any surgery carries risks. Since I’ve had these teeth for twenty years now, they are like my friends, and I would miss them. I’ll take my chances – I’ve been happy with the way things are for twenty years!

Karen Williams, June 6, 2007 at 1:17 am
  20. Do you think it would be ok for me to have local anesthetic for removal of one wisdom tooth instead of being put to sleep. The thought of being asleep and how I may act on the drugs makes me nervous. Also does anyone know how much thismay cost without insurance.

Alyssa, July 3, 2007 at 12:42 am
  21. Alyssa, I had mine out with local anesthetic only, and it was not an experience I would recommend. The nerves are so deep that it was still painful, and more novicaine = more swelling. It wasn’t very fun to witness the process.

Joshua J Romero, July 3, 2007 at 1:23 am
  22. i think its best to remove a one time fixed 2nd molar with some years to give space to birth of a new one – the wisdom tooth. than with a bracet we can put all alligned leaving no spaces between…

z1m3, July 4, 2007 at 7:41 am
  23. For the love of god do not get them pulled if they dont hurt I just had mine pulled 7/5/07 because my bottom teeth were hurting me but ididnt need my top ones done, only now realizing that after ive gone through all this pain, and I still cant eat 2 days later, and im still bleeding!! The Dr. Didnt even tell me I could save my top ones if they didnt hurt, so just like most dentist I think he wanted to cash in more from my insurance co. When you go home and the novacaine wares off you will be in the most pain you’ve ever been in, it is hell!! I dont know when I will be able to eat!!

Howard, July 7, 2007 at 7:46 am
  24. oh and make sure your dentist will give you percocet or stronger, and if not tell he/she theyre a crazy lunatic and run as fast as you can out of that dentistry for the love of God!!!

Howard, July 7, 2007 at 7:50 am
  25. Dear Alyssa (love the name): Local anestetic is fine, the operation wasnt painless but nothing too bad, the novacaine shots suck. Also, I had pain from having to open my mouth for so long my jaws couldnt stand it, I had to take breaks to rest, because he took a while geting them all out, I do have bad sores on the sides of my lips either from opening my mouth to hard or from the dentist/and or assistant. I heard that it costs $300 withou insurance fro a friend and I know he at least had 2 pulled but cant remember if he had all 4. Hope that helps!

Howard, July 7, 2007 at 8:06 am
  26. My dentist had to do a pan x-ray of my head (standing still for about 5 minutes while some machine spun around me) and found that I don’t have any wisdom teeth at all, I thought that was awesome.

Jason, July 10, 2007 at 1:32 pm
  27. ummmmmmmmmmm!!

my tooth really hurts,like a b***h.

but i leatn so much just reading this article.
    so yeah…

thank scienceline.!!:))

Joe, July 17, 2007 at 3:57 am
  28. This was very informative. I have all four of my Wisdom Teeth and i am only 15. My denist says he wants to wait until i am 18 to take them out, which i really dont understand why he won’t take them out now.
    But anyways thanks for the info.

Ashley, July 18, 2007 at 2:33 am
  29. Oddly enough, I have 4 supernumerary teeth (though not yet erupted)… translation: 8 wisdom teeth. Two up top, two on the bottom. And they haven’t given me any problems at all. *knock on wood* I imagine I would have seen their worst by now (30 y/o), and I haven’t, so I’m hoping I’ll live with them with no problem.

Mandisa, July 18, 2007 at 9:42 pm
  30. I got my wisdom teeth removed yesterday.. it hurt alot but the worse part is that theres food stuck under the stitches and it won’t come out! :(

Tony, July 18, 2007 at 10:20 pm
  31. IT’S SO OBVIOUS. IF PAIN OR INFECTION OR INJURING OTHER TEETH = OUT THEY GO. IF NOT, THEY ARE VERY USEFUL SO KEEP THEM. I KEPT MINE AND I AM 60 YEARS OLD. [BEWARE-ALMOST EVERY DENTIST ADVISES EXTRACTION SINCE "EVERYONE KNOWS" THEY SHOULD COME OUT]. BUT THEY SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT TONSILS NOT LONG AGO AND THEY WERE COMPLETELY WRONG. [THE MILLIONS $$$ THEY MAKE ON EXTRACTION MIGHT CLOUD THEIR JUDGMENT ALSO]

Joshua Josephson, July 23, 2007 at 5:37 pm
  32. i dont have any wisdom teeth they took an xray and they arent under my gums or anything.. i guess im lucky?

nick, July 28, 2007 at 1:55 pm
  33. I had all four of my wisdom teeth CUT out before they could erupt. I was only 15, and only had local anethestic (I was fully awake and aware of what was going on). This procedure took place on a Friday afternoon and I was back to school the following Monday. Did it hurt? Yeah. Did I live? Of course! Would I do it again? After hearing about the pain that people suffer through and then end up getting them pulled anyway, I’d have to say that I certainly would.

alitu, August 13, 2007 at 3:09 am
  34. I got all four wisdoms when I was 19 and never had any problems with them until I was 34 and got a cavity in one of them. The dentist offered me the option of a filling or removal of the tooth. Since I heard these are “extra” teeth, I opted for complete removal. Removal was very difficult, they had to break the tooth in half to remove. But to this day, many years later, the other 3 wisdoms are still doing fine.

shawna, August 14, 2007 at 10:37 am
  35. I too believe that they are there because many years ago…well not so many, before we had dentist and understood about good dental care…that it was common for folks to loose a few teeth…even in their teens and later childhood, I think Wisodoms are for spare parts. I had to have a tooth pulled when I was 13 and I never had to have it replaced, because soon afterwards, my Wisdom tooth on that side popped in beautifully and the space filled in. I did have to have the other three Wisdoms removed, they came in sideways. I suggest that if you aren’t missing any teeth by the time you are 20…get those suckers out….they will kill you otherwise.

Kat, August 17, 2007 at 2:52 pm
  36. The article is spot on except for a few miss interpretations, the reason we have or at least some of us have wisdom teeth. It is due to the fact that once upon a time humanity consumed bio mass (energy from plants), our bone structure was quite different then. We also have the infamous appendix, some experts believe that the appendix was used for digesting leaves as primates. Over time, we have eaten less vegetables and have evolved, over millions of years, for this organ to be smaller to make room for our stomach. Just like appendix, wisdom teeth evolved from early primates when our skulls were more lifted, you are dead wrong about one thing even though its hard to believe. Wisdom teeth did not develop because mankind used to grind food, they developed because we chewed our food. It gave us the upper hand being primates, this meant we could chew things better that would normally take longer to digest. But over the years, mankind’s diet has changed so drastically. We eat things like junk food, and or buy products based on nutrition values, or simply don’t care to consume the proper foods our bodies require. All this comes down to risk factors, or problems you never knew you had. I’m getting 4 wisdom teeth removed in a couple of days, I can say with certainty now that it was due to eating habits and that I use to consume allot of pop as a teen. Aside from genetics, those factors are also something that need to be considered. Just explaining my end of the response, I think we sub consciously do things we never admit to doing.

Consider that before sticking it to history :P

Jim, September 5, 2007 at 4:36 am
  37. Thanks for the great article. I thought I’d just put my two cents in… last wednesday (29/8) I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. I’m 22 and they were beginning to erupt. I have a small jaw and not only did I have swollen lumps under my jawbone for most of this year (I had to wait about 6 months to get the op) but they would have shifted my other teeth and I didn’t want a few years of orthodontic work to go down the drain. So I went for it and had the surgery – almost 9 days later I haven’t ingested anything but water, milk, jelly and almost liquidised vegetables (broccoli, peas, soft stuff). I am still sitting here with an icepack around my face and a bleeding socket. I have one socket that just wont heal and has already been stiched up twice. I’m beginning to think I will never recover and have to say this is one of the worst experiences of my life!! I’m seeing the surgeon again tonight so here’s hoping he can cork up the socket or stop the bleeding somehow!!! I am going insane :(

Sarah, September 6, 2007 at 3:20 am
  38. Hello Sarah, I’m hours away from my surgery. From what I understand every case is different, I too have a small jaw. However my case is a little different, I don’t have impacted teeth but rather the two upper teeth are literally broken. I have a very low risk factor, but enough about my story. From the sound of yours, it seems to me like your surgeon needs to learn stitching.

Have you considered consulting another surgeon?? Also take in allot of multi-vitamins, supplements and meat. It helps with the healing process, and please stay off hot drinks. They cause the sockets to swell more and inherently bleed!!

Hope that helps :)

Jim, September 7, 2007 at 11:45 pm
  39. 30/female/european caucasian/no WISDOM teeth
    IS THIS NORMAL?? Everyone else in my family had them…thank god..that means no pain or chipmunk cheeks for me, right?..lol

nellyha, September 18, 2007 at 6:21 am
  40. My wisdom teeth we abnormally large. The pain on my right side was so awful. When I met with the surgeon, I figured out that my “wisdom tooth” was grinding my cheek. The only positive thing I can say about wisdom teeth is the feeling of being less carnivorous. Grrr. (Boooooo)

fruna, October 15, 2007 at 9:17 pm
  41. I am 41. I have had all 4 wisdom teeth as long as I remember and never had a problem. Just recently I had to have one of them and the tooth next to taken out as they were deciding to do a mating dance together. One little bit of advice…. DRUGS ! as many and as deeply uncoscoius as you can get !!!! OMG I have never experienced such pain ! I had it done in the chair with just a local anesthetic. BAD MISTAKE !!!! The anesthetic didn’t work and I experienced a world of pain I never knew existed for the next 40 minutes. GET KNOCKED OUT !!! ANY WAY YOU CAN !!!
    Over a week later and I’m still in pain.
    I’ll use a hammer on my own head to knock myself out before they get to the other three teeth !

On the happy side, I think the dentist and her assistant are now deaf.

Mark, October 28, 2007 at 6:12 am
  42. The teeth near my back molars and sometimes my back molars themselves are hurting. I have two wisdom teeth poking halfway through on the bottom of my mouth and can’t remember If I do or not on the top. Does anyone think that the random pain of my molars means I need to have the wisdom teeth removed?

Nolan, December 14, 2007 at 9:12 pm
  43. My son had his wisdom teeth out 2 years ago. The x-ray revealed he had SIX! Four on top, two on bottom. All impacted I guess he was one of the rare (and unlucky) ones! The surgery went well and he recovered in about a week.

Libby, January 19, 2008 at 4:12 am
  44. I am 29 with 3 wisdom teeth.One of which is now half gone. I never thought that my wisdom teeth was causing my jaw pain. I also am experecing some gum pain opposite of the half gone wisdom tooth. I have an appointmen on Mon. and am very nervous of what will happen. I have never experenced a dentist before.(Still managed a healty mouth, untill now) After reading everyones comments I’m really worried about the pain. Any thing I can do besides drugs?

Angi, January 22, 2008 at 10:39 am
  45. I liked this one! i thought it was very interesting… i never got my wisdom teeth in, but i remember when you got yours out… ouch! no thanks!!!

Chelsea, February 19, 2008 at 4:26 pm
  46. Hi, Thanks for this article. I am 37 years old and had my wisdom teeth taken out just yesterday. The pain I am enduring now is only slightly more than the pain I have had for the last 20 years of having my wisdom teeth. None of them were impacted but my gums would swell and subside over and over causing pain. I brush my teeth as well as anyone I think, however my wisdom teeth were full of decay. You need a flip top head to clean them properly. I am looking forward to having fresh breath again. Even if your wisdom teeth have came in correctly I would recomend a serios consideration of removing them anyway because of the problems of keeping them clean and free of decay…..thanks

billy, February 20, 2008 at 5:59 am
  47. I am having my second wisdom tooth on the bottom removed Monday. I had the other removed just over a month ago.
    I am more scared about this one because it is totally impacted and slanted.
    I had the first one just under local and this one will be the same.
    I guess I am lucky to only have two so after this I am done.

M, February 23, 2008 at 6:11 pm
  48. I am having 4 teeth (or whats left of them) cut out on Friday. One is a wisdom tooth. They are all broken off to the gums and rotten. I’m scared. I’m only having a local anesthic because of the cost. I have no insurance or I would have them put me totally out. I’m so nervous about this, I’m literally sick to my stomach. I’ve even considered backing out and just living with it. Has anyone else had any “rotten broken off to the gums” teeth cut out with ONLY a local anesthic? I need to hear that it will be ok. I’m mostly concerned about holding my mouth open for so long and not being about to swallow. I know I sound like a big baby…I just have a fear of dentists. I’ve had 3 children and would rather go through that again than what I’m going to have done on Friday :) lol.

Crystal, February 27, 2008 at 11:50 pm
  49. Forgive my misspelling of the word “anesthetic” in the above post…lol :)

Crystal, February 28, 2008 at 11:50 am
  50. I am 23 and I just got my 4th wisdom tooth pop out yesterday… I dint have any problems with my previous 3. I think that GOD made them for a reason, and if they don’t need to be taken out, then just leave them and keep them clean.

Leena, March 13, 2008 at 4:37 am
  51. I had one on my lower jaw extracted a month ago (one incompetent orthon. opened up my gums and after 40 minutes of pulling and sawing, he concluded he couldn’t remove it all, stitched my gums back up and told me to go to a “professional”..lol horrible. I had to have surgery twice on my right lower). I just had 3 others removed 2 days ago (I’m 22 nearing 23). All 4 were done under local anesthesia so I was fully conscious, having to hear the saw chiseling away and bones crunching and all.

Holy heck, they were the worst experiences of my life. xD I guess I have a relatively small lower jaw. My bottom wisdom teeth were so badly impacted (completely horizontal)that my orthodontist had to saw the roots in order to extract them. The top two weren’t badly impacted YET but decided to take them out anyways because they were starting to grow withim my gums at an angle and I’m still in my early 20′s. Having your wisdom teeth extracted is DEFINITELY not fun and the recovery, even worse. My cheek is so swollen it looks like I stuffed a balloon inside. I’m just praying for a good recovery. I’m sleepy all the time at the moment. Maybe it’s from the blood loss. I wish luck to anyone who needs to have their wisdom teeth removed, and if I have learned anything from all this, HAVE THEM REMOVED AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE (if they’re going to be impacted). I can’t imagine the utter hell I would have had to gone through if I had mine extracted in my 40′s after they’ve competely stuck to my bone. xD

Nabi, March 26, 2008 at 2:57 am
  52. My 16-year-old son is due for a consultation on Monday 14 April and extraction of all four on Friday 18 April. We are debating whether or not to go through with the procedure. The regular dentist’s X-rays revealed two are completely in, one about halfway, and the fourth not “erupted” yet. These X-rays showed the teeth so far coming in perfectly straight and healthy.

I am from the school of “don’t fix it if it ain’t broken,” and so is my son. We will go through with the consultation and the “Panarex” X-rays. If these show no problems, based on the varying degrees of pain and recovery times noted above, I am thinking we should WAIT and either not have it done at all, or have them done while school is out and my son does not have to deal with this during the academic year.

For the record, I myself had all four wisdom teeth come in straight and even, never felt them or had any problems. When I was in my thirties and had full dental coverage from a job, a dentist advised me to take advantage of the insurance coverage and get them out — that years down the line, the presence of the wisdom teeth would make it much harder to keep my back molars clean and free of decay.

So I had all four extracted. I was very lucky — the bleeding and discomfort only lasted the day of the extraction, and by the next day, I was fine. Because they were straight with no impaction or complications, I had them removed only with Novocaine and as much NITROUS OXIDE as I could inhale. I also used my Walkman with headphones to block out any noise.

I am glad I had it done and got it over with, since I had an easy recovery, it was paid for and I felt fine. The Novocaine completely numbed me, and the NITROUS OXIDE made me floating high as a kite — with the music filling my ears, I was so high I didn’t give a damn what they did to me! I could actually feel the teeth coming out, but because they were straight, those puppies slid right out, no problem.

But seriously — apparently this is the new protocol, to have them out as young as possible. However, when I was a kid, everybody was supposed to have their tonsils out too. I never did — and for the rest of my life, every time I have gotten an upper respiratory infection, it has never gone farther than my throat. I have never had bronchitis or pneumonia. A doctor actually told me that the tonsils serve a purpose, they “catch” the infection before it goes down to the chest.

I was also ordered by FOUR different OB /GYNs to start Hormone Replacement Therapy when I reached “a certain age” — IN SPITE of my family history of breast cancer! I argued with all the doctors and REFUSED — and then the studies came out proving HRT causes breast cancer!

So I am very undecided about whether or not my son should have his wisdom teeth out at this time. Just because it is the “new protocol” doesn’t mean it’s right….

For the above poster who inquired about cost, here is what I was quoted as the “sticker price” on this, for people who either have no dental insurance or are “out-of-network”:
    Consultation $100
    Panarex X-ray $90
    EACH extraction $350 X 4 = $1400
    ANESTHESIA — I was told they now use “intravenous conscious sedation,” (exactly what they give people who have colonoscopies) — you don’t remember anything of the procedure. The cost I was quoted for this anesthesia:
    (approx.) $200 for the first 30 minutes
    PLUS approx. $100 for each add’l 30 minutes.
    So without insurance or “out-of-network” having all four wisdom teeth extracted, you are looking at about $2,000 in expenditure.

Hope this helps. Do you think my son should have it done now just because we have the insurance coverage?

Ellen, April 11, 2008 at 10:58 am
  53. All the text on the internet are so strange : “It’s better to removed them when you are 20 to 24″ . But I’m 33 and they just started to grow. How could I had them removed before ? And what it means when they start to grow only at 33 ?

Sebastian, April 26, 2008 at 3:47 am
  54. hey ellen-wondering if your son went through with the extractions and hope he is doing well by now if he did. I am eally interested in your reply-my son has 4 impacted wisdom teeth, they are not giving him any trouble at all, and he is scheduled to have them out o n May 28th, after he graduates from high school and has some time to recover. I would really appreciate your insight, since after doing some research I am not so sure that he should be going through with this!

maddie, April 29, 2008 at 7:38 pm
  55. hello everyone…

I’m 22 and i am planning on removing four of my wisdom teeth…two of my top ones have grown in perfectly and straight…however my two bottom are SEVERLY impacted…and have grown horizontal…onto my bone and is touching a nerve… i was just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with horizontal impacted wisdom teeth…. and if it is safe to take out all four at one time…. how bad will it be?!?! and also, im doing it aby anesthesia …. a needle on my arm ..and i will be knocked out for them..but ive only mostly read about people who have taken one at a time …when it comes to impacted horizontal wisdom teeth..please share any experiences or insights! i greatly appreciate it!!

tracey, May 3, 2008 at 5:42 am
  56. I just had 3 out of my 4 wisdom teeth out yesterday, the 2 bottom were angled towards my back molars and had to be drilled into pieces and taken out and one of my top that was close to my gum line. it hasnt even been 24 hours yet since removal and i have some swelling of the jaw but it feels great not to have all the pressure on my jaw all the time. I never realized it was that bad until I had them removed. The one we decided to leave in was one of the top ones that wasnt very close to my gumline and the oral surgeon said it wasnt likely to give me any problems but that I should have it checked every couple years.

Brad, June 14, 2008 at 9:50 am
  57. Tracey, everyone I know that decides to get them out one at a time regrets it because if you get them all out at once your recovery time is usually only 48 hours-72 hours and who wants to waste that much time each time getting a tooth removed ?

Brad, June 14, 2008 at 9:53 am
  58. i have all my wisdom teeth and have never had any problems with them. (thank you God.)

hopefully my daughter will have the same experience.

bliss, June 17, 2008 at 10:12 am
  59. I had to get three of my wisdom teeth out- the bottom two were completely impacted, and the one on the top right was coming in a bit crooked and crowded. The fourth, however, was on the side I had a tooth pulled from when I was maybe 11 for orthodontic work.

That one grew in, perfectly aligned with the rest of my teeth in that quadrant. And it was sturdy enough and straight enough, xrays and all, that they decided to leave it in, or they jsut would have put another gap in my bite. It hasn’t budged in the 5 years since it erupted.

I think their original purpose as replacements is pretty clear even without that experience. Maybe I have a prehistoric jaw, since that’s the only circumstance in which we see them discussed as useful.

Mine was fine..., July 9, 2008 at 4:53 am
  60. Im 16 and I had a cleaning yesterday and my dentist urged me to get my wisdom teeth yanked ASAP. I don’t see why, they don’t hurt at all. What should I do??

Derek, July 23, 2008 at 12:17 am
  61. people, my doc wants me to make an appt IM SCARED! :{

alex, August 4, 2008 at 4:47 am
  62. I have a terrible mouth and horrific dentistry history (I told my dentist I’m going to donate my mouth to science when I die)!

In May I went through the traumatic experience of having an infected wisdom tooth removed; the infection migrated down to the root (and maybe nerve? not sure) and I was in serious pain for awhile. When they did the extraction, the novacaine wouldn’t work when just putting it into the gums (they explained that the infection + novacaine = a neutral pH; i guess the basic pH is what numbs us?? maybe) so they had to inject right into the root and nerve. :-O Not fun.

But anyway, the reason I’m writing here is to reassure some people who I read are struggling with the idea of having their wisdom teeth out.

This morning, I had FIVE more wisdom teeth removed (turns out I had two of those supernumerary). I was mortified. Turns out, as of now, the bleeding is the only problem. My jaw isn’t really sore neither are the surrounding teeth. I was pleasantly surprised. I guess having a very good oral surgeon pays off (after the first tooth came out, I told him I wanted to hug him!).

To all those considering the surgery and reading this, go get it done. A few days of discomfort are definitely worth the future benefits. I was only under local anesthesia and had no pain (just pressure, which you can’t avoid).

I hope reading this comment, from a 20 year old who was such a nervous wreck after a first terrible experience (by an iffy dentist), will help some of you make the decision. Good luck!

Robert, September 11, 2008 at 11:20 pm
  63. My wisdom teeth came through when I was 14 and I’ve got 4 (one of which is still not fully through). I’ve always had problems, mainly due to having a small mouth and too many teeth! When my milk teeth came in I had too many and consequently had to have 10 teeth removed (a mix of adult teeth and milk teeth) before the age of 11. I’m now 22 and my teeth have shifted to fill the gaps, I think mainly because my wisdom teeth are pushing the others out of the way!

Because of my small mouth (so small I have to use a toddler’s tooth brush as an adult one won’t fit between my teeth and cheek) my wisdom teeth rub the inside of cheeks which often results in them being cut open and lots of pain! However, I can deal with this pain as its “just one of those things”, and I would never consider having these teeth removed. Yes they are a pain in the backside, but x-rays when I was younger showed they were fine and I’d much rather keep them thanks! If it aint broke don’t fix it!

Hayley, October 14, 2008 at 5:32 am
  64. My wisdom teeth hurt sooo much!!! I hope they’re strait so I don’t have to get it removed!

Wisdom Teeth HURTS!!, November 2, 2008 at 9:35 am
  65. An experienced dentist told me when I was in my early 20′s that he didn’t see any sign of wisdom teeth in my xrays and he was very doubtful I would get any. Well, he was wrong, I got all four of them when I was 29. Only the top right one started popping thru, but I felt pressure and some pain and a regular dentist was able to grab hold and extract it, what a relieve it was. I am now almost 42 and guess what? Yup, another wisdom tooth coming in on the top right again. I’m hoping I get one on the bottm right and it comes in straight as an arrow like it is supposed to be because there is room for it now because of a sicko dental hygentist up in Guilderland, NY named Laurie, and another sicko awful inexperienced dentist in Maryville, TN named a33hole. LOL But anyway, when they start to come in and hurt, it will help you to use peroxide and keep the area very clean, do not use alchol or mouthwash because it will aggravate it a great deal, also use a water pick. I would recommend for people to try and keep them, because I think we have them for a reason. Some dentists open the jaw and extract them from way under to young people and don’t even give them a chance to see how they are going to come in, in ten years. Having an impacted wisdom tooth is almost as bad as having contractions while having a baby. Impacted means infected and not enough room to get in? Take some antibiotic if you can and swish your mouth with a lot of peroxide. Don’t use mouthwash, pure agony, believe me I know!

angela, November 3, 2008 at 8:17 pm
  66. And after watching this I had second thoughts…

Ughh

Hmmm..., November 11, 2008 at 2:48 am
  67. I’m 26 and I don’t have any wisdom teeth. :)
    I guess i’m just lucky.

Karis, November 12, 2008 at 8:36 pm
  68. I am 25 and have all four of my wisdom teeth and my mouth had room, so they grew in perfectly. After reading this I have decided that I am incredibly lucky. Now can anyone tell me for sure that the enamel on wisdom teeth is weaker than regular teeth? I know this sounds weird but I am the only person out of every body I know that has all of their extrenous parts (wisdom teeth, apendix, etc) and would like to stay this way, so if there is no need for me to get them taken out I would rather not have to.

Amethyst Crawford, November 30, 2008 at 9:41 pm
  69. agreed with all that this article is informative! i had my first wisdom tooth emerged 2 years ago. second at 1 year ago. the third one is emerging. funny part was the first and second tooth only grew half way. anyone know the reasons why?

Ethel, January 6, 2009 at 3:34 am
  70. Hi i am a 20 yr old white male i think i have a wisdom tooth growing it feels like a small tooth but i think it was there before but i am nto sure and it hurts when i move my toungue around that area Is it a wisdom tooth and it is my first one should i have to remove it? even if it didn grow yet. my insurance ran out and will take a few weeks to get it back, but if i can have some more info it will be great thanks.

Roman, February 8, 2009 at 12:28 am
  71. I’m 17 and I just had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed this morning, so I figured I’d share the experience. Talk about nervous! I had never had surgery of any kind, let alone have an IV, in my entire life. But when I went to the oral surgeon this morning and got everything hooked up (e.g blood pressure monitor, heart monitor, something on your finger, laughing gas, protective glasses) I was going to be put out via IV sedation. I have low blood sugar and not eating or drinking anything 6 hours prior the surgery was making me leery since if I don’t eat after I wake up it’s possible for me to faint, but they took this into consideration and even made notes to hook a thing of Glucose up and left it open to make sure my sugar didn’t drop during the procedure (going into a coma is possible if it dropped in this situation) but I woke up just fine an hour and a half later, albeit groggy. After waiting in recovery for a few minutes my mom and I went to pick up the prescribed medication. I remember what people said but I have no memory of what I did 15 to 20 minutes after waking during this time.

The only downfall of the day was when I typed out a text on my phone to tell my mom I tasted blood, I figured it was normal since the Postoperative Instructions they gave me said there would bleeding for the next day or two. The top two were able to be pulled out normally but the bottom ones, much similar to the picture at the top of the page here, grew in completely sideways and had to be cut out and have stitches. When I went to say something as we waited for the medication blood poured out of my mouth. It was like something out of a horror movie! My mom looked absolutely mortified because it wasn’t just a little blood. Imagine having your mouth full of water and just opening it, that’s how much came out. Thankfully there were a few paper towels I could use to get the blood up and all of them were soaked by the time I got home, even after changing the gauze and clamping down on it in the truck before we got there. It took about an hour to calm the bleeding down. As soon as we got home I took two of 2 of the medications (Ibuprofen and Cephalexin) and tried to force myself to drink something before I took them and fell asleep, my mom waking me up every 20 minutes to alternate ice packs on my jaws to reduce potential swelling.

Right now I feel fine. It’s doesn’t hurt anymore and the bleeding thankfully stopped altogether after five or six hours. Just being reduced to strawberry milk shakes, mashed potato’s and soup is about the only tormenting thing right now.

But reading this shed a little light as to why we have wisdom teeth in the first place. Since I’m the only one out of my of friends who has had all four grow in and removed they seem extremely hesitant about having the same done when they grow in, but I really suggest you do. Another problem my dentist explained to me when he recommended having them pulled as soon as possible was that, as stated, your wisdom teeth have not rooted themselves completely, once they have rooted too deep it becomes more painful and difficult to remove them. Even if they don’t hurt (mine didn’t either, only occasionally making me want to gnaw on something when they grew more) they can lead to several other possible complications not mentioned here that won’t pop up until around the age of 30 or 45. Even though it sets you back for a little while I’m glad I went in and got mine out now rather than later before all of these problems occur. Just make sure you have some help the first few hours.

As for the Chipmunk Cheeks there is initial swelling the first 2 or 3 days after removing them. Keeping ice packs on your jaw “30 minutes off and on for the first 24 to 48 hours is helpful” is in the instructions, elevating your head also reduces swelling. lol

Ino, February 21, 2009 at 3:20 am
  72. I have only one wisdom tooth coming in at 25. It’s causing me some terrible pain, headaches, and inabilaty to eat on that side. It’s on the top left side. It’s just barely poking through, and food gets stuck in the “gap” all the time. It’s really rather annoying. I’ll be going soon to have it removed, as it’s pushing the second molar down, which causes more pain..as the second molar is now longer than the first molar, so everytime I bite down completely, pain shoots through my jaw. I cannot wait to have this bothersome, useless tooth removed!

JoJo, March 6, 2009 at 5:38 pm
  73. What are these teeth that are coming out of little bumps of flesh or tissue?

Abraham Im, March 10, 2009 at 6:45 pm
  74. I just started reading this article because i was trying to do research on wisdom teeth and read way more of these comments then is socially acceptable. either way. i have had 2 bad molers pulled top and bottom left side. and now have one WT comming in bottom left wich has pushed the moler infront of it foreward closing the gap from the previouse extraction of that bottom moler. Now i dont know if it will come in like planned and the sore gum is just from it cutting through? its been so long since ive cut teeth i dont remember what they feel like. Or if all wisdom teeth hurt like this and then get removed. Im sure that the WT on the other side if there are any under my gums will have to get removed because there is no room at all. I guess ill stick it out and see if this sucker comes in strait or not. I hate getting teeth pulled, but i guess everyone does.

Mark, March 21, 2009 at 1:16 am
  75. ummm hey im 15 and i am gettin my first wisdom tooth and i thought it was a big hole in the back of my mouth then i started seein a tooth and it hurts kinda, but for some reason my jaw keeps geetin in the way where that tooth is growing and i keep biteing but i dont want to get them taken out and this article was helpful!!

desiree, April 24, 2009 at 8:22 am
  76. HEY I AM 24. I HAVE WISDOM TOOTH GROWING IN ON THE RIGHT SIDE. AND IT HAS BEEN HURTING FOR 3 DAYS NOW. I HAVE BEEN PUTTING B.C. POWDER ON IT AND IT MAKES THE PAIN GO AWAY FOR A FEW HOURS. AND THEN IT STARTS UP AGAIN. ITS NOT TO BAD OF A HURT. BUT IT HURTS BAD ENOUGH TO KNOW ITS THERE. LOL. ANYWAY HOW IN THE WORLD CAN I FIGURE OUT IF IT IS GROWING IN WRONG. OR IF ITS OKAY FOR IT TO HURT THIS LONG. I DON’T HAVE THE MONEY TO GO TO THE BIG D. SO…. AND I ALSO HAVE A BROKEN I GUESS YOU COULD SAY ROTTED OUT TOOTH. ONE THE LEFT PART OF MY JAW. IT HAS A SMALL CYST. IT DOESN’T EVER BOTHER ME. AND I HAVE POPED THE CYST ON OCCATION. IS THAT OKAY? PLEASE SOME ONE WRITE BACK. LOTS OF THANKS TO WHO EVER DOES.

sassy, May 1, 2009 at 1:33 am
  77. kk…bye

candycane, May 5, 2009 at 1:06 pm
  78. potty training

hdfghd, May 5, 2009 at 1:21 pm
  79. omg your wierd

candycane, May 5, 2009 at 1:24 pm
  80. olli pop lolli pop oh lolli lollii pop lollii pop!

candycane, May 5, 2009 at 1:24 pm
  81. in July 2007
    i had minor oral surgery
    and wisdom tooth at right side was removed
    and in 2009
    another wisdom tooth growth out from the same site
    Any idea why this happened?

jet, May 20, 2009 at 1:47 pm
  82. Hey. I’m a sixteen (turning seventeen in a few days) and I’m having two wisdom teeth coming in. One of them is growing forward and doesn’t hurt as much unless you get near the bottom top (make sense?), where it pushes the most against the BOTTOM of my mouth. Because it’s growing outward, yeah? But the other tooth is growing BACKWARDS and if giving me a little bit of pain. Like, starting to hurt on that side. Is this pain just normal…teeth growing pain? Like, it might not be anything serious? Just more teeth breaking through thick gums or could this be a problem?

Wahoo, July 3, 2009 at 2:53 am
  83. hello, im 29 (a little old for a new tooth i thought)and i have one wisdom tooth attempting to come through on my top left hand side.the same tooth had issues two years ago and my dentist told me it was nothing to worry about, it would continue to go up and down, and when it did break through it would need to be removed as there was no room for it. This time though, i feel really sick in my stomach. Does anyone know if feeling nauseous is a common symptom of a wisdom tooth coming?

Angela, July 4, 2009 at 1:45 am
  84. I’m 17 years of age and i have a wisdom tooth on the bottom left side that was growing in and it hurt just a little. but the pain went away so ignored it. Now the pain is back and it is very FREAKIN ANNOYING. Sometimes i think this is punishment from God.

Russ, July 24, 2009 at 2:19 pm
  85. i have 4 wisdom teeth that grew through fine 22 years ago but i keep biting my tongue very badly, and i can feel them pulling now so i want to have them took out but i;ve never even had a filling at the age of 42, the thought of having a needle petrifies me so to have all 4 teeth took out under a local anathsetic is a no go. Will i be able to be put to sleep for this to be done

denise, August 24, 2009 at 6:11 pm
  86. I am 39 years old and I have my third wisdom tooth coming in. Hurts like hell. I had the other 2 pulled in my twenties. Maybe this one will need to come out.

toni, September 2, 2009 at 8:03 pm
  87. I’m 17 and although my parents didn’t get their wisdom teeth until late 20′s unfortunately all four of mine are groowwiing and one has “erupted.” I have a very small jaw, in fact one side is crooked and shorter than the other, and I’m just finishing braces so they recommended to get all four out asap. I’ve never had surgery before, never had nitrous, never had my blood drawn even, so I almost started crying in fear when they broke the news to me.

I find a lot of these comments very interesting especially you lucky bastards who get them in straight with no problems! Argh!

All I have to say is that if you’re absolutely terrified to pissing your pants like I am, of needles and pain (I get cavities every year because of my own dental issues but I drill without novocaine because needles scare me so much) then ask your oral surgeon to prescribe you a an anti-anxiety medication to take BEFORE YOU EVEN STEP IN THE OFFICE (Like attavan). This way you won’t sweat and shake and cry on your way to the chair. GET NITROUS FIRST, THEN THE IV, GET EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

Another thing interesting someone said is the glucose bag which I’ll suggest to my surgeon because I have anemia and some lbs problems and I really don’t want to go into a coma.

I expect to be posting back here in a few months!

V, November 4, 2009 at 4:44 pm
  88. OMG I have never been in so much pain in my life. Which is saying something, since I’ve always had a very high pain-tolerance. Top left WT has been bloody painful for the past week, finally stopped (sweet relief) and then decided to start shoving my 2nd molar out the front of my face. God people, if you know about them and they are going to be a problem, kids – get them out while you’re on your parent’s insurance! Parents – NOTHING is worth the PAIN they can cause later. Yes your baby will be in pain for a few days, yes they may be scared, or standoffish, but they will never know how much you pain you protected them from.

During the bad episodes it feels like it would be less painful to have someone rip them out with their fingers and a dull knife than the agony of them shoving through the roots of other teeth.

If they aren’t straight with room to spare, GET THEM THE h*** OUT!!

As for the lucky bastards that don’t have them, or manage with straight roomy, fully erupted WT. You should be thanking whatever powers you believe in and rejoice this Thanksgiving. You don’t know what you’re missing.

Crystal, November 25, 2009 at 3:16 am
  89. I am 58 and have both my left lower and upper wisdom teeth. they both have deep fillings. I must have had a root canal in the lower, as I broke a large piece of it and have no pain at all.
    What is the best course of treatment for me at this stage of my life? Would it be better to fill and maybe put crown, or have removed all together. will the upper begin to come down into my lower socket as it did on the right? I had the right taken out at different times, years apart.
    I wold apprecieate emails with suggestions. I will have to make a decision very soon.
    Help recommended!
    Thanks
    Ronda Stern

ronda stern, December 2, 2009 at 1:40 am
  90. good article…
    my right cheeks hurts now .. but i love the pain!

Shanaynay, February 4, 2010 at 8:37 am
  91. Wisdom Teeth removal…really just another profit-generation scheme cooked up by dentists who like to pretend that they have a better answer to hundreds of thousands of years of evolution. I can’t tell you how many friends of mine have had their wisdom teeth almost immediately removed at the first sign of eruption/pain because “that’s what you do.” I dealt with the pain, the teeth erupted, and now I happily have those extra teeth. Beyond the initial pain, no other problems to deal with except the inevitable prodding of my dentist to “take them out,” with all of the varied excuses listed above. Mind you, I’ve now lived with these wisdom teeth for over 20 years and can chew with the best of them!

Jeff, March 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm
  92. i got mine out when i was 14

nick, March 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm
  93. This just goes to show you WE ALL are not the same. I will be 50 in July & have all my teeth,,wisdom included. No problems with them coming out. No problems still. Only time my teeth seem to ache is when my sinus’ are bad from the windy weather where I live.

olivia, March 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm
  94. I never got wisdom teeth. I have four children and all have had to have their surgically removed because the wisdom teeth were causing crowding and were painful. My oldest had her wisdom teeth come in sorta sideways and they cut into her gums.

Years ago an older dentist noticed my xrays and said HUMMM you have no wisdom teeth (I was about 16 then). I laughed and said I didn’t have to be wise to know that sounded like a GOOD thing! The dentist said that it was hereditary that some people just don’t get them. He said that people of the “Mongoloid” race (Native Americans, Asian, Eskimo, Islanders) were the only peoples he’d ever known to not get them. The only time I’d ever heard the term Mongoloid it was in reference to a mentally retarded person… I was upset because I thought the dentist was saying I must be retarded cause I had no wisdom teeth. It was a couple years before I figured out what he really meant… there’s a bit of wisdom for you (: )

I don’t know how true that dentist’s statement was, I was just relieved to hear that it’s perfectly normal for some people to NOT get wisdom teeth.

Darlene, April 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm
  95. I had braces when i was 15 to 17(i had 2 teeth removed from my upper jaw to make room for the braces). i am now almost 22 now, and my perfect teeth are no longer perfect because my molars grew in and moved all my teeth. i had 2 bottom impacted molars removed. but now i have 2 more molars coming in straight on my upper jaw. sometimes i can tell when they are moving and i can feel my teeth shifting. My parents spent tones of money putting braces on me for nothing, because my teeth are no longer straight any more. It seems like i am stuck with crooked teeth for life. If i ever have kids i wil be making sure the molars are dealt with FIRST so i dont waste money on nothing. Bad smile = less success. bottom line, i hate dentists and the one who performed on me clearly doesn’t no anything.

jamie c, April 13, 2010 at 4:41 pm
  96. I hate my wisdom teeth!!!!! I am 15 years old and im already growing them…the one growing at the bottom is cutting into my gums…it really hurts!!!!!

diana, July 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm
  97. My cousin had a 3 rd tooth removed and hes 7.I saw him yesterday.Ime like are you some tipe of alien?But i found this soo i guess its comon.

Tj, August 18, 2010 at 8:15 am
  98. Well again to prove we are all very different, at 42 my two bottom wisdom teeth bagan to erupt a few aches but no reason to yank them and now at 45 my top wisdom teeth are erupting. As I did not loose the last of my baby teeth until I was 17 this is probably quite normal.

Vonnie, September 7, 2010 at 8:02 am
  99. I don’t know how old the article is but I was curious to know as to why they grow, googling it up gave me quite a few interesting results one of which claimed that a recent study showed that it isn’t due wisdom tooth problems aren’t due to the size of the jaw, but due to eating habits. Depending on the type of food you eat and how you chew, your wisdom teeth would grow.It is also said that it is not advisable to remove your wisdom teeth unless there is an issue.

I personally feel that evolution isn’t to be blamed, evolution never occurs to cause any impairment. It is necessary that there is no loss what so ever in the process of evolution. Don’t get me wrong I am not claiming that there is no such thing as a vestigial organ, simply that vestigial organs will not hamper, damage other parts of the body.

Hence the reason, wisdom teeth are replacement teeth make satisfactory sense. They are there to back up the worn out primary and secondary molars.

Karthik, September 14, 2010 at 12:54 pm
  100. great article! Im in my mid 30′s and I have all four wisdom teeth already in and have been using them for sometime. Occasionally I bite the inside cheek or the tooth region feels sore, but other than that, it’s kinda cool having theses…in an odd evolutionary way. However they’re removal comes up every 6 months with my cleanings. I didnt have health insurance when I was between the ages of 17 to 25. And now that I do, and the potential for infection as I age, makes me wonder if I should have them out soon.

paisley144, September 14, 2010 at 5:03 pm
  101. I am 47 and a black guy, (i include my racial identity as I am told that black people tend to have very strong teeth which has some bearing on my story)

The dentist I went to this mornng told me that I have very good teeth , this despite the fact that I brush only once or twice per week.

Anyway have all my teeth except 1 lower jaw wisdom tooth which came out about 2 hours ago.

This is the saga, my wisdom teeth appeared between the ages of 29 and 34 and it was virtually painless, unfortunately the wisdom tooth that just exited the building was shaped slightly like a deep cup and after years of my very bad brushing practice (sometimes not brushing for a month or more) the food trapped in the cup eventually caused a severe cavity, when because of the pain I had no options left I went to the dentist, a filling was put in, three months later was in extreme pain as the filling was pressing on the nerve, because of the pain I had no options left and went to the dentist asking to have it taken out, they injected sawed hacked drilled and cracked the tooth in half then injected sawed hacked drilled some more, for maybe two hours, eventually a second dentist was called in, he was a hefty six footer, he put pliers in my mouth and his knee against my chest and tried his best to convince the tooth to come out… it did not want to know(has such a love a tooth ever known for a mouth ?) nedless to say the pain was absolutey exquisite!

Anyway they gave up and left the shards of this unremitting tooth in my mouth, try to imagine a beer glass shattered stuck firmly in the back of ones jaw. Anyhoo , that was two years ago, today I went in to get the shards removed as my tongue was still being lacerated by the sharp edges (which in most cases should have rotted away which is what i think the dentist expected to happen). Anyway this time it only took only 10 minutes and the tooth was out, two hours later I can report the pain is minimal, courtesy possibly of 3 aspirin, and the bleeding is finished.

I have three pieces of advice:
    1:If your wisdom teeth are not a problem leave them in.
    2:If your dentist says you need a filling, and you know you have strong teeth, don’t get that filling straight away, brush your teeth properly for a month or so then see if you still need the filling. What dentists do not tell you is that teeth can repair themselves to some degree. At least 4 times a dentist has told me I need a filling and I applied the above advice and the problem completely disappeared.

3: Even if you have strong teeth, beleive in PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE! Brush a lot better than I do :)

Nkrumah Ming, September 21, 2010 at 6:32 am
  102. Hello. I enjoyed reading this very much. I am 17 years old and I have four wisdom teeth that have stopped growing. Well, the two top ones I think are fully grown.. they aren’t as big as my normal molars so I’m not sure.. though no gum tissue is covering the top ones. I have two bottom ones that I think are half way grown, half way still in my gum tissue. There is NO room for those two bottom ones to go, I have had crowding in my bottom row thats been fixed, but no teeth were removed and still no room for more. However… at the state these teeth are in.. well.. its been this way for about five years already. Yes, they seemed to have grown in even before my 10th birthday. The strange thing is, I have never experienced any pain from these teeth so naturally I ignored it. My dentist never says anything about them, but he doesn’t know how long they have been like this. They have not grown in five years… no pain at all.. not to get my hopes up, but maybe I could be a lucky person who doesn’t need them removed? ;) My two top ones function as normal teeth to me now, and my bottom ones never hurt, and no food has ever gotten in my gums, they are tightly packed. They have never been inflamed either… so, can anyone give an opinion here? I plan to talk to my dentist next time I go though.

Paige, October 28, 2010 at 4:54 pm
  103. A very good arguement to support evolution. Makes more sense than a creator giving us random teeth that dont even fit. Perfect creation my ass :)

Joel, November 13, 2010 at 9:59 pm
  104. Fuck all this shit, nasty ass pussy

Niggas, December 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm
  105. I was just wondering this and asking my dad why we have wisdom teeth. I really enjoyed this.

Taylor, February 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm
  106. I have pain in my wisdom tooth,which begin to grow from today.I LUV having all this. RAJA OVIAS BHAT KASHMIR.

RAJA OVIAS BHAT, May 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm
  107. I always was taught if there is no pain, leave them alone. So I never had my bottom ones removed. Unfortunately they were impacted. They became more impacted in my 40′s and a caused an infection, causing me to have not only the wisdom tooth removed, but I lost my back molar as well. Now, I’m hoping my jaw bone heals enough that I can get an implant. Get rid of them. It’s not worth the chance of loosing your other teeth because of them.

Greg, June 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm
  108. Hi there! Excellent article. Though I am a bit scared now, I find it very informative.keep up the good work.
    cheers to everyone.

Saeed, June 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm
  109. To those who say that wisdom teeth are “necessary”….why would so many people have them removed if they existed for good reason? Simply put, our jaws are becoming smaller and these teeth have not yet disappeared via evolution. They are not useful unless a person dines on roots and tough meat for each and every meal.

Megan, July 31, 2011 at 9:48 pm
  110. Well now this article clear the confusion, I will go ahead and get my wisdom teeth removed. Was afraid removing it will also remove whatever wisdom I had left :-)

I am 37 y.o. Since last couple of days had terrible pain, my dentist has been telling me to remove these for (at least) last 5 years. I have been avoiding since it was not hurting and it involves a “surgery”. Many of my friends I have talked to haven’t removed theirs either.

Anonymous, September 11, 2011 at 4:19 am
  111. Yeah, I’m getting mine taken out tomorrow and I’m only 15, but in my biology accelerated class, there was a lot of talk about how we’ve started to “mutate”, and not like x-men but there are many people that are starting to not even have them because there is no use for them and since they cause sists and cancer, I was like, take them out now!! Ha-ha. But i like this article, very interesting! I’m kind of nervous of tomorrow!!!

Saranda, September 22, 2011 at 10:58 pm
  112. Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to understand a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I feel that you could do with some percent to force the message house a bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

Carpal Tunnel Treatment, December 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm
  113. i am havin mine as we speak and the pain is unbearable .i cant satnd it no more,

edward, February 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm
  114. ummm but im 12 and my wisdom teeth are growing now i can see the little hole is this common ?

kyabeth, February 15, 2012 at 1:41 am
  115. my names briey and im almost 16 i have never had a cavity or had to get a tooth removed . im a little scared … my wisdom tooth is growing in … the one on the back right. i was just wondering if i should get it tooken out or if i should wait till all of them grow … its been really painful and hard to eat … any sugestions ?!??

briey, April 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm
  116. I have epilepsy and I will have a seizure when I get mine removed because I can’t get a simply shot with out having a seizure. So what am I going to do about these pointless teeth?

brian, May 7, 2012 at 4:26 am
  117. Hello my former comment goers,
    I would just like to inform everybody that my wisdom teeth has not come in yet. Neither has my friend Gabby’s. We are seriosuly concerened that we are abnormal. Is there any foods, or vitamins we can take to get them to grow?? We eat really hard roots, and plants so we really need those extra four teeth to help us out.
    If you have any advice please let us know ASAP!!!!!!
    Thanks :)

Mary Jane, May 16, 2012 at 8:59 am
  118. Tomorrow I am taking my child for tooth extraction. What things I should take care off so that he doesn’t freak out?

neetalia, May 30, 2012 at 6:29 am
  119. Interesting. I thought only small women like me that have little facial structure get the problem of supernumerary wisdom teeth; it’s actually a worldwide concern. Maybe the next generation of kids won’t have these teeth any longer. Just maybe in the near future.

Yahn :), July 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm
  120. Hi everyone! I am 16 and will be a junior this fall. I play tennis monday through friday 3 and a half hours a day in the summer and play tournaments. Also have been doing drivers ed and AP US History HW this summer. Yesterday I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. None of them had surfaced the gums. So, i thought i would explain my experiences since i like whomever is reading this right seems to be slightly or extremely nervous like i was before. SO ANYWAYS here is my story. OK so I have never had a surgery before this so I was kind of nervous. The worst pain i have ever experienced was dislocating my kneecap is sixth grade and the worst dental experience I have had was removal of like four teeth before getting braces. My situation with my wisdom teeth was pretty good. I had no impacted teeth, praise God:), and since i’m a teen my roots weren’t too deep and hooked if you know what i mean. So yesterday an hour before my surgery I had to put under my tongue a pill that dissolved which made me kind of loopy. Once we got to the oral surgeon I played peek a boo with a baby in the waiting room and like five minutes latter was called back. Go time. I made my way into a small room and was seated into your average dentist chair. Following being seated, I blood pressure cuff was placed around my arm. After this, she put three stickers on my chest: two up high near my collar bone, and one on the side of my rib cage bellow my uh… boobs. gasp! haha no big deal:) After that, the oral surgeon came in and gave me an IV. I have never had an IV before, but last year I had my blood drawn because my doctor thought I had mono.. i didn’t. Anyways the IV everyone gets all worked up about the IV please take it from the biggest baby in the world it DOES NOT HURT AT ALL AND IS NOOOOOO BIG DEAL. Just look away and you will be fine. Following my IV they strapped that arm to the chair so that during my surgery i would not more it. OH ALMOST FORGOT they put an oxygen thing over my nose. So here is the lovely thing about modern day medicine I was talking an all of a sudden somewhere in the conversation i went out like a light bulb. I don’t even remember falling to sleep. But I did:) Then about an hour or hour in fifteen minutes I wake up and was like wow I did not remember going to sleep! haha! All the stuff the IV, blood pressure cuff, heart monitor stickers, and oxgen mask had been taken off. The lady that had put the stickers and stuff on me placed a blanket on me she said the IV makes you chilly and trust me it does. I had goose bumps. About three minutes latter she said my mom was pulling around to an exit door and she assisted me to our SUV. Most of my mouth, chin, cheeks, and even part of my ears were numb. Honestly the pain for me at least was and has been a day latter very minimal. I personally think my braces hurt my teeth more than this. I have been livin it up at home chowing down hahaha NOT CHOWING DOWN on pudding, jello, and shakes. The only thing that’s annoying is the stitches and not being able to eat solid foods. I learned from friends that they tried eating bagels and ended up with dry socket so yeah i do not even want to attempt that. I’m not getting dry socket. OK but here is what I recommend to you all.
    1. Before your surgery have all the food you want to eat like jello and pudding made or bought
    2. Get your laptop connected to a charger next to wherever you are laying down when you get home as well as iPhone charger or what ever technology chargers were you will rest.
    3. Get pillow and blankets ready
    4. GOOD LUCK!

By the way like all of yesterday i had gauze in my mouth

Lauren, August 2, 2012 at 8:23 am
  121. Well yahoo I am the very rare sob. I have a total of 6 wisdom teeth in my mouth and am enjoying the agony of the post-op removal of two under the gumline (two more on the other side)

Twist, August 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm
  122. I have 4 wisdom teeth, yet they don’t affect me. They’re tucked away wayyyy in the back.

Polly, August 13, 2012 at 10:22 am
  123. I am 30 year old now a days my 4th wisdome teeth is coming out its so painful. I am taking painkiller and anibiotics. Now I am confuse what to do remove all these teeth or not . :(

Ranu, August 21, 2012 at 11:15 am
  124. I am 45 and was lucky enough to only ave one wisdom tooth. (lower right). Was advised for years to have it removed, but like many others I took the position of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Started noticing some bumps on my gum line a few months ago, and about two weeks go the corner of the tooth erupted. Don’t know why it suddenly decided to erupt, but didn’t have any aggravating dental problems.

Anyways, went to the dentist and had an x-ray and the tooth was slightly impacted against a fron molar. Dentist suggested removing it so that it would not effect the healthy molar.

Happy to say I had the tooth pulled today under local anesthetic. It took longer for the tooth to numb then he extraction process. NO PAIN whatsoever, and was back at work within an hour. Ate a light lunch of soup, and really only have a littl discomfort due to the injection site. No swelling, a little soreness, and probably more discomfort due to the stitches.

All in all I’m glad I did it. Should have done it at 19, but just wanted to let those over 20 know that you can do it, and at least this is one story of a 45 yr old with no complications.

I would recommend removal in your early years. The dentist I’d warn me that it could have been difficult due to the maturity o the tooth.

By the way, the tooth was in perfect condition, no decay. But I was worried that the partial eruption could have led to decay below the gum, and also possible endangered the molar in front.

Anonymous, August 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm
  125. I’m 19 and I think I mine are just growing out…. They REALLY hurt… But I’ve actually never been to a dentist so I’m nt sure if I will. My face is all swollen! I am NOT enjoying it. I could nt sleep last night and I don’t kno if I will this. What do I do?!

teea, September 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm
  126. I’m almost 16 so…..yeah mine are about to come out right now….I just had to leave school early today b/c of the excruciating pain in my gum….and when I went to the dentist, they said that it was my wisdom teeth coming in! Omg…..I am so nervous about the surgery…..I’ve had surgery before…..but still……………HEY! At least I’ll miss a couple days of school and eat Popsicles and stuff…..my friend told me everything about this today during lunch……lol I could barely eat my lunch….xD Waste of food…..but oh well…..it’s life. Stuff happens. :)

Courtney, September 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm
  127. I had my second molar removed yesterday because my wisdom tooth has grown into it, and broke it. I had choose to either have a surgery and remove the wisdom tooth, leaving the second molar and trying to save it with canal root treatment, or removing the impacted molar and allow the ‘ninja’ wisdom tooth to grow into its place… After discussing it with several dentists I finally got my molar removed, because they predicted that the molar would not last me more than few years, it was that badly damaged. I just hope that I made a right choice and the wisdom tooth will grow in nicely without much more complications. The pain was horrible…

Greta, September 14, 2012 at 9:17 am
  128. HI, Very intersting article. Reason why I am posting this is because I have not had my wisdom teeth…ANY! and I am in my sixties. Dental X-rays do not show any sign of any budding roots or anythying for that matter.

So, having read an article on evolution and Wisdom Teeth does this means that I am one step ahead. I am one of eleven children and I am the only one with no WISDOM TEETH. My parents had them too, and so have my children.

Can anyone explain this mystery please.

P. NORTHAMPTON, September 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm
  129. Recovering after removal of bottom right WT. I feel a new man! Dentists have told me that that there was no need to remove it unless it was giving me serious problems as it was very impacted with deep roots and I’m in my 40s. For the last 6 months I have been getting infections with swelling and pus and finally decided to go for the root cause and get the ‘devil tooth’ removed. The surgeon said that I should have had it removed a long time ago – turns out there was a bad cyst and a benign tumour which was also cut out. 48 hours later a little sore but not much swelling. It does seem from the forum that bottom WTs give the most problem. Had left side out 5 yrs ago but top ones seem fine. The only problem is that because of the antibiotics I can’t have a drink on my birthday tonight.

James, October 1, 2012 at 9:27 am
  130. I have just got my first wisdom tooth at age 43!!
    Went to dentist who took an x-ray he said I only
    had the two on the left and that the top one has come
    through fine, so I am lucky. Lower is impacted
    so just have to wait and see with that one! After reading the above I hope it stays put!!!

Ness, October 16, 2012 at 4:03 am
  131. I’m 17 and I just recently had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. My bottom two had already been in for almost 2 years and my top two were just starting to erupt. My wisdom teeth were not overly large and there was plenty of room for them in my mouth but my dentist insisted they needed to come out. I tried to convince my mom that they didn’t need to come out and that my dentist only was using this as an excuse to make some money. Needless to say, I lost this little disagrement and had the great opportunity of getting four teeth forcefully ripped out of my jaw. I was just given some novocaine so I was awake the whole time. It only took
    about 30 minutes to take them out so it was really pretty easy. The dentist had to break one of by bottom teeth in two pieces to get it out but that was the worst of my experience. I didn’t even take any pain meds the day I got them out so I feel pretty lucky. I wish that I still had those teeth though. Now that my mouth is all healed up I just have a bunch of wasted space in the back of my mouth. So I’ll probably have a grudge against my dentist for a little while but I’ll get over it. I just liked the fact that I essentially had an extra set of molars. But oh well, after reading some of these other comments I just feel lucky that my four teeth were in straight and not impacted or anything. So my opinion is if they’re going to be a problem or causing you pain then get them out, but if they’re just fine then tell your dentist to shove it and that you’re keeping your wisdom teeth…haha

Braden, November 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm
  132. Im kinda nervous because I’m 22 and my wisdom tooth is coming out. It really hurts, but I am afraid of surgery.. I don’t know what to do.. I didnt want that happen to me…

Lucia, November 22, 2012 at 2:43 am
  133. I had some removed back in October and I had the blues, but I wasn’t in much pain period I was 18 at the time and this past Friday (now 19) I had my last two removed and yes I was awake on both exaction, but the second one didn’t have much pain and I didn’t have to take my medicine as much and when I regained the normal feeling in my mouth I wasn’t in much pain and I’m recovering very fast (it’s day four after the exaction) other than that this article provides useful information

AnDaiya Reynolds, December 17, 2012 at 1:34 am
  134. Wisdom teeth don’t come in straight because the jaw does not grow to it’s full potential due to our nutritionally deficient modern diets. Weston Price documented this in his work “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration” ( freely viewable on Gutenberg ).

William, January 21, 2013 at 5:16 pm
  135. Awesome… You have ever explained well … Even in wikipedia info is lacking..
    Can I eat trident chewing gums ?? I am 17 years old an wisdom teeth are now poping in my mouth.. Very painfull …

Niharika Singh, January 26, 2013 at 8:35 am
  136. i suggest getting them taken out. i am eighteen years old and about a montha go i had mine cut out cause they were impacted.

the only problem i am having right now is infection from food getting stuck in the sockets, which my dentist says is normal for anyone whose had they’re teeth cut out.

was i in pain? heck yeah! for about a week i couldn’t talk and had to refrain from eating my fave foods but from everything my dentist told me about the problems wisom teeth can cause, i’d say take them out. it is worth it!

Jenna, February 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm
  137. i am 14 and all four of mine have “erupted” perfect (i hope)

jordan, March 11, 2013 at 5:58 pm
  138. I still have all my wisdom teeth at age 58 (59 in July 2013). About 4 years ago
    I noticed another tooth coming through the gum behind the left upper wisdom tooth. Today the gum has a lump and is sore next to the newest tooth, so I suspect it is part of the new wisdom tooth. Perhaps time to see the dentist again.

Paul, March 30, 2013 at 1:58 am
  139. eww that creepily me out with the cyst

Ben, May 16, 2013 at 4:57 pm
  140. cyst creeped me out

Ben, May 16, 2013 at 4:58 pm
  141. I’m 11 almost 12 and my wisdom teeth r starting to come in and it hurts around my gums when my tounge touches it.

Emma, May 27, 2013 at 2:21 pm
  142. I have wisdom teeth. They are grown unevenly and the pain was horrible that i can’t eat any thing. If i tried to have some food it got got stucked in to the that. When i consult to doctor he suggested to take out the tooth i was very afraid to take out the tooth, But when the treatment has got started everything was normal and i’m felling better after the treatment.

sirisha, June 3, 2013 at 1:13 am
  143. I’m 14 and a wisdom tooth is growing,pretty weird

viksha, June 19, 2013 at 10:37 am
  144. My top left wisdom tooth started to pop out just less than 24 hours ago. Actually yesterday I was completely fine, able to eat, talk and socialise normally. But then just last night I woke up at the middle of my sleep and felt a sudden swelling in my lower left gums.

It turns out that my top left wisdom tooth is biting down on my bottom left gum which is now bloated/swollen. I still decided to go to school today despite it being a Friday and being a the day for the semester/term. BIG MISTAKE…. Bit down on my lunchtime sandwich and suddenly the pain was barely tolerable. I managed to keep my cool for the whole day but man! It hurts..

And this is coming form a guy whose had a circumcision lol. I don’t think it’s the magnitude of the pain itself but instead it’s persistence. I could stand the pain itself but the fact that it is continuous is what really gives it its BANG, If you know what I mean.

Anyway I ended up asking one of my teachers for painkillers. She gave me 4 neuromol pills. Kind lady she is. The painkiller didnt really do anything until about 40 mins of taking it. And it seems that the effect is wears off about 5 and a half hours.

This whole debacle is just an amazing bad timing. I have a school prom tomorrow night. What the hell am I supposed to do if I can barely talk, eat and socialise properly.

Actually my speech is only a little impeded but I can pretty much talk as clearly as before… I think.

In other matters, currently I have 1″erupted” top left WT. while the three others are partially erupted. All are coming out straight and they don’t seem to be coming out at an angle I hope….

Jason, July 12, 2013 at 3:57 am
  145. I am about to get one of my impacted wisdom teeth taken out this morning. I am 32 and I had 4 molars taken out when I was a teen and needed braces. At the time my dentist said that my wisdom teeth shouldn’t bother me and just to keep an eye on the impacted one (lower right) if it does not straighten out on it’s on. I had not had any problems with it until this past Sat. At first it started out with a slight pain, but yesterday morning I woke up with the worse pain ever. Feels like someone has stabbed my jaw. Cannot wait to get it removed today.

Rhoadie, July 17, 2013 at 5:25 am
  146. Ugh, my doc wants me to get mine out. I def fear it because I have an irregular heart beat at times. And one time even some local made my heart beat crazy. I’m 23 and I know I sound like a kid haha but….it freaks me out. I dont have the money to have it done right now (broke college kid) but it scares me!!! My jaw has been acting up and I fear its WT… I have 4…

Laura, July 19, 2013 at 2:35 am
  147. I am 30 I have 6 wisdom teeth and they are quite nice sure they hurt a little when coming in but so did the rest of my teeth when I was little. My jaw is large enough that they all fit fine and they didn’t actually start coming in until my mid twenties. I am quite happy with them and will not ever have them removed!

AssA9, August 5, 2013 at 10:11 pm
  148. So I decided before I turned 29 I will kindly remove my wisdom teeth. I made the mistake of inquiring with friends and family over their experiences (big mistake). Everyone’s pain tolerence and experience is very different. For the most part everyone had something horrifying and traumatizing to say. I then ventured out to you tube and watch the process take place (2nd big mistake).
    Really turned off by what I saw. Either way I knew that even though my wisdoms weren’t causing any uncomfort i wanted them out!!! So I put on my big boy pants on, called my dentist and made my appointment. A week later I was being escorted to THE chair, no doubt I was nervous and eager to get this process over with, I would say the most painful part was getting numbed. After dealing through the uncomfortable needle stabbing to get my mouth completely numb, I closed my eyes, turned up my Dido and let them go to town. Ten minutes later my beautiful Dentist grabs my face and notifys me that they are done, I swear that was a drive by! The crazy thing is that I was at my salon working on clients and laughing about my experience the next day! Based on a true story!!!!

Austin, January 19, 2014 at 4:16 am
  149. I have all 4 well aligned wisdom teeth, which came in without problems. The dentists have never suggested removing them, and I actually have a crown on one of them to keep it healthy. I am in my late 50s and have had no problems at all with them. My parents both had theirs and my children have 4 functioning wisdom teeth as well. It seems odd to read these horror stories.

Cara, February 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm
  150. I m 17 years old and I have 32 teeth? Is it normal?

Janvi, March 18, 2014 at 5:58 am
  151. I see people love speaking or in this case typing while opioids(Tylenol 3,vicodin,percocet).I had my wisdom teeth out and I waited too long, about 30 yrs old. I recommend removing them sooner than later!

Randol, May 4, 2014 at 6:34 am
  152. The information in this article is simply incorrect. We are meant to have space for 32 teeth in our jaws. It is only recently in our history that our jaws have become too small for all 32 teeth, due to our nutrient-deficient industrialized diet. When the mother does not eat the necessary amount of minerals, the bones in the face of her baby will become malformed. Please see the work of Dr. Weston A. Price, who studied healthy populations that ate traditional diets without refined grains/sugars or pasteurized products. The people he studied all had 32 teeth and the incidents of cavities were very low. He documented his research in the book On Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. Think about it – at what point in evolutionary history did it become necessary for humans to surgically extract wisdom teeth? Wouldn’t the potential for infection and death have caused this trait to be selected out a long time ago, if they were really unnecessary?

Taylor, May 19, 2014 at 7:39 pm